Latest Jewelry Box

No metal slides this time ;)

the drawer fronts was exactly as much fun as you would think. Next time I have two columns of drawers there WILL be a stile between them. The construction is a plywood box with everything attached to that, the top with screws in elongated holes. There's a slot on the inside face of the front legs into which the thin face frame of the case fits.

The top was made with this jig (posted before):

LEGEND65

wrote

Reply to
Swingman

That is some cool work! Very impressive. It looks very similar to the furniture work that emulates cartoon-world shapes. Very impressed with the contrasting drawers.

Reply to
Mark & Juanita

You've got an eye and a talent there, young man. Again, exquisite.

Reply to
Robatoy

As usual, excellent work Kevin.

I just love the natural edge on the top. Nothing like a little bark to yell natural wood work at you.

Reply to
Lee Michaels

Very nice. I especially like the way the 3 woods work together.

"This ain't so bad. Maybe I'll try one." And then he attacked some lathe turned round pegs with a belt sander, "to give them the hand cut look", he explained. This was after hand splitting and riving the stock from a green log. It's clear that the man doesn't have a clue.

Reply to
MikeWhy

-Kevin

Reply to
LEGEND65

I like how that turned out. When the design itself has strong elements I try to keep the wood simple. It's nice doing something fancy that isn't all exotic and figured woods all over the place

Well Norm makes me scratch my head from time to time, but he's got skills. He's never claimed to be anything he's not, and I doubt I'd be where I am today without him. I bet if he got out of his antique copying comfort zone he could surprise a few folks, and probably himself.

-Kevin

Reply to
LEGEND65

HOLY .....!

These boxes are outside and WAY outside "the box".

I really like the concavities in the top of the natural edge piece functional and really interesting.

And the one using sample coopered doors - really nice - especially the continuity of the grain on the drawer faces. What did you decide for the drawer guides?

The bent ply piece is beautiful - the drawer floating - elegant.

Putting drawer pulls on highly figured maple is always difficult. The pulls you came up with - and their staggering is a really nice solution to a potential nightmare. The wavy edge near the corner is a nice idea as well.

I'd like to include some of these images in the stuff I've put together on How To Unlearn How To Not Be Creative. Would you be willing to do a write up on how the ideas were converted to reality - and done so well? You explained the coopered door leftovers earlier but where the ideas for the others came from would be great examples of thinking non-linearly.

NICE WORK!

Reply to
charlieb

"charlieb" delivered high praise

There ya go Kevin. You got the CharlieB stamp of approval. That is high praise indeed.

And Charlie. Your informed comments and support for one the wreck's creative souls is much appreciated as well.

Good on both of ya.

Reply to
Lee Michaels

You can get a look inside the drawers on my etsy site, though you can't really see the slides. The top two drawers the runners are just glued to the inside face of the carcass, with the edge beveled so they are horizontal. The drawer boxes were made with the sides extra thick and cut at matching angles to the carcass, then I dadoed them for the slides using my tenoning jig that rides the rip fence on the TS. The top drawer is in three sections to try to maximize the space because of the curvature. It was done in a not so terribly elegant way because I didn't have a 1/8" router bit to make proper stopped dadoes for the bottoms.

The bent ply piece is beautiful - the drawer floating - elegant. Remember how you suggested having the slides attached to the drawer rather than the carcass? Well, there you go.

I had shown all but the top box before, and I talked a bit about those decisions. The wavy edge, I had a slab that was intended by the guy that cut it to be for a guitar top, so he cut it to fit his pattern which ended up having about 1/3 natural edge and 2/3 straight cut. When I went to try to fit a jewelry box under it, if I had cut it where the natural edge started to get the full width it would not have been long enough. If I cut it longer and ripped it down to remove the natural edge it wouldn't have been wide enough. So I compromised between the two. That decision created some asymmetry which gave me license to do the drawer pulls in that staggered layout, which was something I really agonized over. So that is really a case where I did not plan any of the features that are the signatures of that piece, but being open to one slightly oddball decision led to another.

How bout I put up a page that you can link to?

Thanks for the kind words,

-Kevin

Reply to
LEGEND65

That would save me some time and web space - and I'd intended to link to your site anyway - so PLEASE DO! And please post the url here when the page(s) are up.

Just stating the facts - as I see 'em. And I look VERY closely.

Reply to
charlieb