Latch Question

I'll be making an air rifle carry/storage case. I was going to use a lunch-box type latch to keep it closed - it won't need a lot of force to keep it closed, so a couple of those would work nicely. I've already found a good source, thats not the question.

I've decided I'd like to make my own latches, instead of buying them. No, I'm not so cheap I don't want to spend the money, I'd just rather make my own. The case will be stored standing up, and next to some more cases. That means the latches, or catches if you want to call them that, can't protrude on the sides - the ends won't matter. The top would be limited to about 1/2", because they'll be stored in a limited height space. Also, I don't want something you take a part out to open it, because that's an annoyance to keep track of. And, no, I don't want anything on a string either. Oh yeah, it doesn't need to take a padlock.

I've got several ideas on the subject, they'll all work - and, I've been googing like Hell, but wonder if anyone here can some up with something I've not thought of. I was going to mention a few of my ideas, then decided not, I'd rather see what you all can come up with instead. For proof it ain't rocket science, I just came up with probably my best idea, while I was typing this paragraph.

OK, any usable ideas on this?

If you decide to respond, for the Gods sakes, don't copy this whole damn post, snip. And, if you don't know how, learn., Yeah, I know, some of you do snip, but way too many don't.

JOAT A rolling stone gathers no moss...unless it's a hobby he does on the weekends.

Reply to
J T

you said snipe.....

S.

Reply to
Bob S

Reply to
Markndawoods

Should be easy enough - start with plans for an air guitar case and make minor modifications.

B.

Reply to
Buddy Matlosz

Mon, Dec 5, 2005, 1:07am (EST+5) snipped-for-privacy@spam.com (Bob=A0S) who could've sniped some more:

Nope, kinda neat, but won't work on my case, opens different..

JOAT A rolling stone gathers no moss...unless it's a hobby he does on the weekends.

Reply to
J T

Sun, Dec 4, 2005, 9:19pm snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net (Buddy=A0Matlosz) coth claimeth: Should be easy enough - start with plans for an air guitar case and make minor modifications.

Nope, won't work. The parts are disconnued.

JOAT A rolling stone gathers no moss...unless it's a hobby he does on the weekends.

Reply to
J T

What if you just use the normal latch but recess the opening where it will sit?

----+ +----- | XX | ------

Bad ascii art above!

Reply to
Rob V

Tue, Dec 6, 2005, 2:17pm (EST+5) snipped-for-privacy@here.com (Rob=A0V) doth burble: What if you just use the normal latch but recess the opening where it will sit?

What normal latch? I'm making this, so it doesn't have even an abnormal latch, let alone a normal latch.

JOAT A rolling stone gathers no moss...unless it's a hobby he does on the weekends.

Reply to
J T

When in doubt, go to the experts. In this case, you might want to take a look at one manufacturer's web site for ideas:

another idea is to make a pair of springy hooks that interlock like this:

o-----------------/ /----------------o

these are carved out of wood, and when closed, the two hooks (/) mate. To release, you slide them apart. Make them springy, or make a wooden spring for them to work against (so they'll stay closed). The (o) is the mounting point ... a pivot if you're using an external spring, fixed mount if the latch itself is the spring.

Make them out of contrasting wood as a feature, or make them out of the same wood (to obscure their location). Put a couple of extras around the case that aren't functional (to confuse people).

Hope this helps,

Rick

Reply to
Rick M

Tue, Dec 6, 2005, 4:43pm (EST+5) Sawdust snipped-for-privacy@thereisnocabel.triad.rr.com (Rick=A0M) did say: another idea is to make a pair of springy hooks that interlock

Haven't seen any ready-made that inspire me. Yep, your idea is similar to the one I already came up with. I describe it in my thread On Design and Plans - or something like that.

JOAT A rolling stone gathers no moss...unless it's a hobby he does on the weekends.

Reply to
J T

Actually issue 179 of FWW has a section of how do make different latches.

Reply to
Rob V

Wed, Dec 7, 2005, 3:00pm (EST+5) snipped-for-privacy@here.com (Rob=A0V) did say: Actually issue 179 of FWW has a section of how do make different latches.

I just checked the FWW website, the catches take wood or metal pins.

From my original post: "Also, I don't want something you take a part out to open it, because that's an annoyance to keep track of. And, no, I don't want anything on a string either."

Anyway, I don't get FWW any more.

JOAT A rolling stone gathers no moss...unless it's a hobby he does on the weekends.

Reply to
J T

This apparently never made it the first time, so here I go again.

[...]

Wed, Dec 7, 2005, 7:11pm (EST+5) Sawdust snipped-for-privacy@thereisnocabel.triad.rr.com (Rick=A0M) doth claimeth: This apparently never made it the first time,

Yes, it did. And, I responded.

JOAT A rolling stone gathers no moss...unless it's a hobby he does on the weekends.

Reply to
J T

Yes, it did. And, I responded.

Sadly, my news server never got either ... or so it tells me.

Regards,

Rick

Reply to
Rick M