Last Project Completed

For the last 8 weeks I have been working on 3 book cases for a customer. Of course I forgot to take my good camera and the camera phone had to do. White Oak solid wood and plywood. Clear Old Masters Gel varnish. Not a bad varnish but needs to be wiped twice after each application rather than the single time that I have been used to doing. There are probably close to 250 floating tenons in the sides, face frames, and doors.

The customer has door pulls on order and I will return to attach them. I hope to take much better pictures then.

Leon

Very nice Leon I can only hope to be half as good. I'll be able to get some extra practice now, hurt my back and on Workers Comp. now can you imagine

66yrs. old and still trying to work. Have a good one.

Sal

Reply to
sal

Thank you Sal and get better!

Reply to
Leon

wouldn't choose to have the front plywood panels be so much lighter than the solid oak, but I can understand that someone else could prefer the contrast.

Reply to
Jim Weisgram

Thank you Jim, it is mostly the lighting that exaggerates the contrast.

Reply to
Leon

Larry

Reply to
Gramp's shop

Beautiful work. Did you use tempered glass? WW

Reply to
WW

Damnit, Leon.... don't make me come over there... =^0

You do all that beautiful work and you record your efforts with a camera phone? Seriously, as we talked about as a passing comment at Christmas, you should truly consider an album/portfolio of your work.

Same with Karl. He does a nice job with his job photos, but he has a lot of nice pieces in his house, too. Stuff to be proud of.

I am rarely without a camera these days. I document so much stuff that I keep one in the truck almost all the time. And with the newest camera I scored a really nice wide angle lens, Li battery, and found batteries and 16GB cards with work with it just fine at Amazon. Camera + batteries and big cards was about $130 after a pile of discounts. But you can get a nice camera for documenting your work (*hint* hint*) for less than that these days.

I have been at this business too long and honestly look back at some of my finished work and wish I had taken just 15 minutes (or less... ) to snap a few pictures for me to look at later.

A few years ago I had a client that let me design their molding install patterns, their crown molding profiles (using existing stock) from the base molding (wood molding wrapped around curves) to the ceiling treatments. These well heeled folks were delighted at the fact that their moldings looked like no other, like their large 4 piece chair rails, down to the custom window sills with little crown moldings (and returns!) underneath them.

They were so happy with the work they paid me to stay and personally paint it all. In the end, I am not sure who was more proud of that work, me or them.

But did I take a picture? NOOOOOO...... dumbass. What a dumbass. That opportunity was there and gone quickly as they couldn't wait to move their furniture in and hang their pictures.

Not only did I miss an opportunity for a sales tool, but to remind myself that not all of the work I do isn't just same sh*t, different day.

Robert

Reply to
nailshooter41

On Tue, 17 Apr 2012 22:59:20 -0700 (PDT), " snipped-for-privacy@aol.com"

Same old question. If you don't have any pictures, did it really happen? I went one worse, at least it was worse in my books.

Many pictures of my projects over the years. My computer died and so (for the time being, did all my saved images and information). Dumb ass that I am, I didn't have any of it backed up.

The sad part of the whole fiasco, is that I'm always telling friends that they need to back up their information. Good advice. Me? I'm too stupid to follow my own advise.

I have one avenue of hope. The information I had stored was on SCSI drives, a standard which is just about obsolete. I just might, be able to cobble together enough of a setup to run those SCSI drives and recover my information.

Reply to
Dave

We crashed (again) as a result of a lightning strike a couple of years ago and took the hint. I purchased one of the small portable Seagate hard drives that comes with automatic backup software. It spends most of its life in our safety deposit box where it is retrieved about once a month for update. Today, I would have likely just opted for one of the now-cheap high capacity flash drives. I also use one of those pretty regularly to backup files that are important.

Granted, this works well for us because our small town bank is four blocks away and retrieving the drive is no big deal. But with the drive at a remote location it is safe from fire, tornado, theft, etc.

RonB

Reply to
RonB

Thank you Larry. I live in a suburb of Houston, Richmond, TX.

Reply to
Leon

Thank you!

No I did not use tempered glass, I do so however when the glass is closer to the floor and or is likely to be hit. Top cabs being set back from the bottom cabs lessens this possibility.

Reply to
Leon

But I want you co come over here Robert! LOL

Yeah and I thought about you as I was clicking the shutter button on my iPhone. :~) Seriously, I did,. Robert I have a very good camera with wide angle and long telephoto lens which is pretty fast. But hey if you don't use it what good is it? ;~) I am going back to add the pulls and will take that camera then. Not being complete so to speak kept me from taking the better camera. And unfortunately these recent jobs are so large that it is hard to not include the shop clutter if I shoot before I deliver. But I hear you, prior to getting a phone with a camera I used a good camera to take pictures of all of my work. I do have a note book portfolio but I am leaning towards pointing towards Flickr and e-mailing a link.

Yes, absolutely he does!

Thank you Robert!

Reply to
Leon

I use Carbonite for my back ups, on a cloud.

Reply to
Leon

On 4/18/2012 12:59 AM, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote: \

I'm waiting for Festool to come out with one that works with their Dust Extractors.

Much quieter ...

Reply to
Swingman

While I still use media to backup files locally, a subscription to Carbonite and, and free 50GB introductory offer to Box.com, backs up the backups.

I've had to restore a few accidentally overwritten local files from Carbonite in the last few months and it only took seconds.

And, I can access the files on both services from either my iPad, or Android phone.

Would not do without the option in this day and age.

Reply to
Swingman

As Robert has pointed out, a very decent digital camera can be had for well under $100. With a any decent camera sdram chip, you can have thousands of pictures.

I have failed to do the same thing, as many of us have and I really regret it now.

I have mentioned backup of computers many times on this forum.

DO NOT lose the family history because of stupidity.

A 16gb flash drive can be had for well under $20 and will hold thousands of pictures.

Put your pictures on cdrom and flash drives....and print them out.

Reply to
Pat Barber

How did you do those doors with arched rail ???

I assume a router template...

Very nice work...

Reply to
Pat Barber

Thank you Pat.

The glass door rails ans stiles are Domino reinforced lap joints. The glass has square corners and I removed material straight across the back of the rail 1/2" past the top of the arc. I used the same dado set that I used to cut the rabbit, just moved the fence over 2~3 times.

Reply to
Leon

All of my pictures back up are on a cloud, Carbonite.

Reply to
Leon