Last Project Completed

I posted a PDF file on ABPW of the drawing. Keep in mind that the drawing does not show the two floating tenon/Dominos that reinforce that joint.

Reply to
Leon

Aw, hell, Swingy. Just tell the camera to stop using the "make a silly 35mm film shutter noise when you take a picture" function. It'll quiet right down.

-- You can either hold yourself up to the unrealistic standards of others, or ignore them and concentrate on being happy with yourself as you are. -- Jeph Jacques

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Statement by Mr. David Friend, CEO of Carbonite:

"...Even though Mr. [Rush] Limbaugh has now issued an apology, we have nonetheless decided to withdraw our advertising from his show. We hope that our action, along with the other advertisers who have already withdrawn their ads, will ultimately contribute to a more civilized public discourse."

"Carbonite, the Internet backup-security company, may be a good place to securely store irreplaceable computer data, but it's not proving to be a good place to invest irreplaceable dollars. The company, which went public last August, has seen its stock dive 20 percent since Carbonite CEO David Friend criticized Rush Limbaugh in the wake of the Sandra Fluke flap."

HeyBub

"HeyBub" wrote in news:GfKdndIWeZNlexPSnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.com:

good system. Too slow and cumbersome to do big backups over the internet, even at my than 25/15 Mbps (My FiOS is now 35/35). This was long before the Limbaugh inexcusable outbursts.

Perhaps my (in some places vocal) withdrawal from Carbonite has caused the sharp drop in stock prices, but, really, it could very well have been that the stock price was driven up by speculation, and by now the bubble had to burst.

Reply to
Han

Swingman wrote in news:GvCdnbm7nPZiKhPSnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

I have my NAS backups for that. I am sure that if I needed remote access, I would have figured out how, but I don't.

Reply to
Han

Leon wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

Most of mine are on SHutterfly, which has an option to get archive DVDs with original resolution pictures.

Reply to
Han

IME, folks simply don't appreciate the difference between "offsite file backup/storage", and using a cloud service like Carbonite to backup a computer with the view toward "Restoring" it in case of a catastrophic failure.

Two different uses, two totally different concepts ... I had no concern with, and no unrealistic expectations of, how long it takes for an initial upload to Carbonite, because it was configured to be done over a two week period as a background task with low priority. All subsequent file changes and additions are incremental background tasks done without noticeably impacting my use.

ITMT, that computer was also backed up to a local device with the view to a "Restore" in the event of the catastrophic failure of a component.

I would never consider relying upon "Restoring" a computer via Carbonite alone, except as a last resort, absolute emergency measure, because that is not what that particular storage methodology is good at.

For $4/months, "offsite" storage, via Carbonite, is cheap for my benefit at ten times the price.

Reply to
Swingman

"Offsite", Han. "Offsite" ... a backup does you NO good if your house burns down or blown away.

It's why Iron Mountain, and other commercial data storage companies. are so vital to a businesses survival in the event of catastrophe.

Reply to
Swingman

Swingman wrote in news:f_OdnYd4J55RaRPSnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

Yes I should take up my bank on its offer of a free safe deposit box ...

Reply to
Han

Many times the choice depends on basic ingenuity.

For example, if you can compress your precious data, you can send it to your Gmail (or Yahoo or Hotmail) account as an attachement. Google, for example, allows up to (I think) 8 gigs of email storage. You can sign up for 31 Gmail accounts, one for each day of the month, and store 240 gigabytes of stuff. Then, too, with 365 Gmail accounts... pretty soon we're talking terabytes!

Reply to
HeyBub

Swingman wrote in news:f_OdnYR4J56_aRPSnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

*snip*

I bought a NAS (Network attached storage) box to store backups and multimedia files on. With 7.5 TB of storage (but reduced to around 4 TB due to running the drives in RAID6 configuration), it cost around $1000. That $4/month will pay for 250 months, or about 20 years of storage and by that time you'll need more space than 4 TB. Hopefully Carbonite will up the amount of space you can use without raising the price excessively.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

"Mike Marlow" wrote in news:3110e$4f8f8233 $4b75eb81$ snipped-for-privacy@ALLTEL.NET:

1 TB is 4 250 GB hard drives. If you have multiple computers, it would not be difficult to fill that space up.

I'm not thinking about a single backup here, but rather multiple backups to a single machine. Plus, old back ups sometimes have to be manually deleted (which can be a good thing), and each one takes up several GB of space itself.

The bare minimum data backup may only take a few gig, but with space as cheap as it is (1TB for less than $100) why do just the minimum?

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

On Wed, 18 Apr 2012 22:55:06 -0400, "Mike Marlow"

I have a 2 terabyte drive in my computer and 4x2 terabytes drives for storage and backup in an external USB unit. And, I'll probably upgrade the external unit to USB 3 at some point in the not too distant future.

Sorry Mike, but you appear to be out of phase, compared to many. You can buy a 2 terabyte drive these days for less than $100.00. That's just too cheap *not* to backup all your information.

Reply to
Dave