Laser levels

I've resisted the temptation of getting a laser level... I've had a water level for about 25 years that I've used for leveling buildings, leveling floors, leveling ceilings, installing cabinets, building decks, hanging exterior siding, setting fence top levels, and for setting grade levels for driveways, yards, retaining walls, foundations, etc.

I've got it filled with blue colored automotive windshield washer fluid so I can see the water level easier and so it doesn't freeze. The batteries are never dead, it only takes one guy to operate, the worse case scenario for dropping it is having to add more washer fluid, you can set levels outside line-of-sight (I've hung the water bottle inside the house and marked level references on the all the outside walls of a house by sticking the hose through window and door openings), and it was and is cheap. The one I have uses water only, no electronic gizmo to bust or have dead batteries!

John Who cannot justify an electronic gizmo when water works just fine... ;~)

Reply to
vv

Oops... forgot which account I was using... vv is me!

Reply to
John Grossbohlin

Oh come on.... everybody knows they used alien technology to build the pyramids.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

I havent had much luck with "leveling" at all. Id rather make the surfaces "align" than level. Sometimes the room itself is not level and your leveling can look off because of this. I found this a lot in hanging pictures and drapes, etc.

One room has long windows in my house and the ceiling is not aligned with the windows but you coudnt tell since its all white. When I hung curtains I was stuck not knowing if I should align to windows or ceiling. In the end I aligned to ceiling since you cant see the window line once the drape was installed. This was a redo. The first install I did with a B&D laser level, and it didnt match either window or ceiling.

Reply to
dnoyeB

When you install cabinets and shelves, you damn well better "level".

Reply to
Swingman

Ok. I give up. I have never heard of the term "dumpy level" before nor can I figure out what it means by the context. Will someone please take pity on poor ol' me and pound the meaning into my thick head. Thanks. Larry "Robatoy" wrote in >

snip IMHO, one is much better off to buy a decent mid-range dumpy level.

Reply to
larry

Reply to
Dave Balderstone