Larkin oak secretary desk/bookcase (circa 1890)

eBay: http://easyurl.net/Larkin_oak
Interesting that they only used QS on a few main faces and so much of the piece is not even riftsawn but flatsawn. I think this actually makes the piece more rare. I have seen QS pieces where some case elements were rift but don't recall seeing so much flatsawn paired up with QS.

SonomaProducts.com wrote:

Nothing rare about it at all, these things were made in the tens of thousands. Most of the cheaper pieces combined the two cuts or more, or used quarter sawn veneer dress surfaces on a flat sawn core. In some cases even ash & elm were used along with oak.
Mike Wilcox
Interesting. I guess I just spend most of my time looking at Stickley pieces where I've never seen this. I really hadn't seen it.

"Diane" wrote in message

I don't know ... personally, I'd be real careful. Hard to put your finger on, but despite the label there is just something about this piece that doesn't quite seem to add up.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 6/1/07

Winning bid $705