Larger corner chisel?

I've been using Lee Valley's magnetic corner chisel to clean up hinge mortises, but I'm wondering if there is a larger version available - something with a guide like the LV one, only larger, to handle the radii left by larger diameter router bits. Anyone know of one? Thanks.

MW

Reply to
Mark Whittingham

There are right angle/90 degree chisels that you whack with a mallot or hammer. Old school. ;~)

A bit more spendy. ;~(

Leon

Porter Cable makes a tool designed for that job. It's called a "Hinge Butt Corner Chisel" their catalog # 42234. Joe G

Reply to
GROVER

Ever see any tips n tricks on sharpening those things? I have one and I use the side of my shapton for it and it works pretty good, but I worry I'll alter the 90 degree angle sooner or later.

Reply to
else24

Reply to
SonomaProducts.com

On Fri, 22 Jan 2010 08:47:26 -0800 (PST), the infamous "SonomaProducts.com" scrawled the following:

I'd rather not go deep like that. Mortiser chisels have that rounded edge which is longer at the corners. It allows too much wood to chip out if the grain is so inclined. BTDT and learned to use a sharper chisel and a lighter (ShopFox urethane) mallet (Yes, Leon, your spel chucker missed that one, too) whack for hinge, striker, and door lock cylinder mortises.

-- We either make ourselves happy or miserable. The amount of work is the same. -Carlos Castaneda, mystic and author (1925-1998) -------

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Reply to