Large spark in CMS motor

Page 3 of 3

Wrong again. Unlike you, I'm not guessing.
krw wrote:

I've toured the Robert Moses power generation station in Niagara Falls a number of times. The turbines are at the bottom of the dam to take advantage of the water's pressure. The generators are on the top floor of the structure to facilitate installation/replacement. The two are connected by a massive shafts. You're correct, the water (hopefully) doen't come near the generators.
--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA
Nova wrote:

Actually, large-capacity turbine-generators are typically H cooled to enhance conductivity. One does not smoke in the vicinity... :)
<http://www.gepower.com/prod_serv/products/generators/en/hydrogen_cool.htm

Leon wrote:

"Had to be?" Sounds pretty speculative. :-)
--

-MIKE-

I was in the automotive service business from 1972 to 1995. I saw it all.

Trouble with that is that water is viscous.
Best thing for cooling them is an internal flow of hydrogen, but that really is a pain to work with.

I'll keep an eye on it. I expect some sparks (nature of the beast), but this was a rather large one that filled the motor chamber. Now it only does it when I let go of the switch before it's come up to speed. (I'm curious now. If it starts again I'll have to put an ammeter on there, take a few readings, then clean the brushes.)
Puckdropper

My Delta does it, at night with a not so well lit garage the motor becomes pretty lit up when I release the switch.

Sounds like a normal condition when an electronic brake in engaged.
Electric brake shorts out the motor winding and it generates current in the winding in reverse - generating voltage - and sparks if the brushes are not smooth on. The short isn't hard, but soft through a low resistance value.
Good find. Martin
Leon wrote:

Read your owner's manual. Is this a saw with electric brake?
--
Keep the whole world singing . . . .

The saw indeed has an electronic brake. If that's normal behavior, I'll let it be.
Puckdropper