Large spade bits

I think the hole saw is the way to go.

AM Wood

Reply to
A.M. Wood

I'd also be VERY glad that my drill/driver has a clutch... I've dug in hole saws before and had the torque effect the clutch instead of my wrist... (that's a good thing *g* )

Mac

mac davis

Here's the history: I bought the house about 6 years ago. Shortly after, I noticed water stains on the garage ceiling. I had a new roof put on by a co-worker who moonlights in home repairs, I really don't know well-qualified he is. Two years ago I noticed more leaks. The roof was removed and replaced by my then 19-yo son. He'd been doing carpentry, roofing and repairs for a couple of years, and is a neophyte, but was working with an older friend who seemed more knowledgeable. Now fast-forward to last month - another leak appeared, my son determined that there was a spot where the garage roof meets the house wall that wasn't tarred properly, and touched it up. At that time, we noticed some water damage and rotting along the fascia and soffit. He said that was probably caused by the previous guy not installing a drip edge, which my son and his friend did later. He then tore out and replaced the fascia/soffit. It was then that I questioned why the soffit on the house had vents, but the garage soffit didn't. Sonny suggested adding the vents, but again, I'm not sure I trust his judgement. The house, BTW, has a full attic with gable vents in addition to soffit vents.

I'll look into your suggestion about the building inspector. Those links are great, I'm still going through them.

Thanks, David.

Buddy

Reply to
Buddy Matlosz

Let us see, there was a poor flashing job and no drip cap installed.

Either one can cause problems.

The "attic" above the ceiling of this garage needs some ventilation to prevent condensation problems.

Someplace there is a formula of how much vent area is required based on square footage of ceiling involved, but I have long ago forgotten where to look to find it.

Maybe somebody in the insulation business can help.

Think it is time to break out the saber saw and cut some rectangular holes to accept standard soffit vents.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

That's not a drill bit, it's a carpenter-bat. Keep me well away from it!

Reply to
Andy Dingley

snipped-for-privacy@fellspt.charm.net () wrote in news:VY6dnbGVXspmVazYnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@charm.net:

*snip*

It's worthwhile to buy a second cheap cordless drill. I got an 18V one for $20-30 that's not very high quality, doesn't always spin true (I think the bit's more the problem than the chuck/motor), etc, but it does do a decent job drilling holes.

The other thing that comes to mind is when on a ladder you want a tool belt with a drill holster. It's just so much easier to keep stuff like that on you when you're working at 4', then 6', then 8' etc.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

buy a extender for the bit to help on the length...

can stack those extenders and make it long enough to really help out in the drilling.

I would be using a "slow" turning 1/2" drill with a handle for this job.

Buddy Matlosz wrote:

Reply to
Pat Barber