Large spade bits

I've found that one of those saw tooth forstner bits are pretty fast on something like plywood... lot less vibration than a spade bit, too.. the vibration is what messes up my body..
I think I'd probably try a hole saw with a right angle drill.. easier on the shoulder when you're working over head..
Also, it's a lot cheaper and easier to pay a neighborhood kid $20 to do the grunt work and save your body for the fun stuff... *g*
Mac
Buddy Matlosz wrote:

I think the hole saw is the way to go.
AM Wood
Have you considered a Stanley Handyman, Expansive bit (no. 129).I have one that bores holes from 7/8 " to 3 ". A little scary in a slow drill press, but it works!
Bill

Goggle a Milwaukee self feed bit -
Dave
Teamcasa wrote:

Ditto that. And see if you can rent a Milwaukee hole hawg drill at a rental shop. I do construction for a living and that would be my tool of choice for the job.
Lou
Buddy Matlosz wrote:

That's not a drill bit, it's a carpenter-bat. Keep me well away from it!
http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=2&pB245&cat=1,180,42240
and buy a extender for the bit to help on the length...
http://www.mlcswoodworking.com/shopsite_sc/store/html/smarthtml/pages/forsext.htm
You can stack those extenders and make it long enough to really help out in the drilling.
I would be using a "slow" turning 1/2" drill with a handle for this job.