Lap-Sharp LS-200 horizontal sharpening center?

Has anyone had experience with the Wood Artistry Lap-Sharp LS-200 sharpening system? I saw it demonstrated at Japan Woodworker and it looked interesting. I haven't much liked my Tormek. I appreciate any thoughts. Thanks!
- afb
where are you located, I'd be happy to my your Tormek hehe
I have a Veritas MKII power sharpening system - which is similar in many ways to the lapsharp. I think it is absolutely the best sharpening tool for beveled edge tools - mainly chisels and plane irons for me. The jig that is used with it allows for easy and accurate setting of bevel angles - I'm not sure if the lapsharp has such a jig or not. Anyway, the MKII is probably less than half the price of the lapsharp, and I don't really see why the lapsharp can justify that much of a premium.
What don't you like about your Tormek? I'm planning on buying one in the near future for my turning and carving tools.
Mike

Hi Mike, Is there a reason for not using the Veritas system on carving tools? I have been thinking about buying on of these primarially for carving tools. DAve
you're talking about the MKII, right?
I suppose it would work ok, but it would be done freehand, which I don't really have the confidence to do. If you are ok with that, I'm sure it would work fine. The tormek jigs for sharpening tools seem to be extremely well thought out, and coupled with the profiled honing wheel, it seems to be a great solution for turning/carving tools. I haven't tried anything but flat tools on my MKII, so I can't say much about it directly.
Mike

Ditto what Mike said. I have used my MKII for mostly flat, bevelled items but most recently I've been sharpening turning tools on it free hand. They come out alright. I suppose I could build a little jig to make it more precise for free hand work, but overall, I've been very happy with the sharpener.
Mike, where to you buy the replacement abrasives? Lee Valley's got em but I was hoping for a more affordable version (heck, Lee Valley's price may just be affordable as I've yet to see anyone else carrying these types of abrasives)
Cheers, cc

Mike in Mystic wrote:

All the Tormek stuff seems to be mostly pretty well priced out...I'm open to hear whether others feel it is really worth anything close to what they're asking...
On Wed, 22 Dec 2004 15:51:55 -0600, Duane Bozarth

On Wed, 22 Dec 2004 15:51:55 -0600, in rec.woodworking you wrote:

The following was accidentally sent to email (sorry Duane, I am unused to this browser)
I was pretty disappointed with the Tormek. After reading some glowing recommendations I put my hands on one and found it didn't match my expectations. The casing flexed, it requires frequent replacement of its bushings (I am told by a heavy user) and the add-ons are priced to kill.
I bought a Scangrind 200 instead and saved a fortune. The Scangrind has a forward/reverse switch, which is a nice option.
http://www.scantool.com/page115.aspx
Note that the accessories for the Scangrind are also expensive, though the intitial capital outlay is much smaller. Fully accessorised, it costs about the same as the entry level Tormek sans accessories.
Greg
Groggy wrote: ...

Thanks for the link, I'll go look...I was unaware of it.
Mike in Mystic wrote:

What width of planer/jointer knives could be handled?
the wheel diameter is 8 inches, but I think you'd need a jig to do planer and jointer knives accurately. I've heard that Veritas is going to come out with such a jig at some point, but not sure when that will be. The Tormek (so I'm told) does these tools very well, so that's another reason for getting one.

Mike in Mystic wrote:

I've seen very mixed reviews on the Tormek plus they just seem terribly overpriced to me...
The planer/jointer knife jig attachment is 2/3-rds the price of the sharpener or thereabouts...
Anybody got any input on the Makita flat wheel system?

Google Steve Knight . . . . . . . . . . :-)

I had already posted but here you go well you can get the makita adapt it for sandpaper like I use it for and adapt it to use the tormek jigs. http://www.davidreedsmith.com/Articles/Sharpening/sharpening.htm that makes it do about anything you want to sharpen.
--
Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes
Steve Knight wrote:

Thanks, Steve, I somehow missed the Makita part when I skimmed previously.
That still requires purchasing Tormek jigs which are expensive...although the base sharpener is $150 or so less which cuts the pain some.
The description in the catalogue of the Makita says it can handle up to 15" knives...is that as it comes or is that some sort of hype?

I just pointed out that you can make the makita do more then any other machine. It should be able to handle them. the knife older is atleast 12" but I bet longer. I have only used it for jointer knives. and then only a couple of times since I did not have a jointer for a long time. but you can make the jigs too. though most of my work is free hand.
--
Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes
I found it difficult to square my beveled edge tools to the Tormek wheel. It is also a pain to dress between the different wheel grits, and the stropping wheel clogs easily.