Language, Truth, and Logic: was Social Security, etc.

Page 3 of 3

Charlie Self wrote:

I suppose a lot of my perception comes from all my experience in "the East" is from Virginia south where what wasn't English was heavily Scotch or Irish w/ some "Eyetalian".
Michael Daly wrote:

ITYM Cuban tobacco and sugar must be kept off the US market.
The embargo, like economic sanctions in general, hurts only those people in Cuba who don't give a damn about Communism because they have the least power to do anything about it.
Free trade with Cuba would put Cuban communism in direct competition with American capitalism. Whom do you think would win then?
--

FF

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Census-2000-Data-Top-US-Ancestries.jpg

hey, according to that graph, 224.3% of americans have ancestors!
: )

I think you are adding up the numbers in millions that are on the right, not the percentages that are on the left side. Actually, adding up the percentages shows that 24% don't have ancestors. (:-)
On 9/23/2005 7:34 PM snipped-for-privacy@all.costs mumbled something about the following:

numbers on the right are millions of people (224.3 million people sounds about right).
--
Odinn
RCOS #7

Well, I checked. It turns out what I had read last year was an urban legend of sorts. The confusion was over a proposal to translate laws into German for German-speaking Americans. It was overturned by the speaker. The "official language" vote never happened.
Interesting that this legend was repeated in the "get out the vote" stuff that preceded the last US federal election. That's when I saw it. I stand corrected.
Mike
Michael Daly wrote:

Let me acquaint you with elemental US history:
1) The first colonizing settlers to what would become the US spoke English.
2) The Founding Fathers spoke English.
3) Every single US law from the Articles Of Confederation, through the Constitution to the latest Congressional babbling was codified in English.
4) The debate concerning the passage of those laws was conducted in English.
5) Judicial proceedings up to and including SCOTUS reviews are conducted in English. (Some exceptions have appeared lately as the Diversity Nannies have polluted local courts.)
IOW - German was never a close second as the primary language of government. Neither was Italian, Spanish, Greek, Polish, Urdu, or Hindi.
What people speak/write in their private lives and businesses is no one's concern. What is of concern is the Blithering Bloviating Multi-Cultural Munchkins who wish to instantiate other languages into our government institutions.

As a matter of fact Tom I have noticed people in general in America do talk a little funny..........mjh