laminating brass to wood.

I have a project that I am doing, an I need to be able to laminate thin brass plates, about .005inches, to mahogany wood blocks. the wood will be stained and one side will have a black laquered finish, to wohich a brass plate needs to be laminated as well. I need a substance that will laminate the brass to the stained surface of the wood as well as the black laquered surface, and not screw up the finish, it needs to be clear, and it need to be able to withstand handling by human hands. basically i am making square puzzle boxes. any help or ideas would be appreciated. as well as weblinks or stores, thanks.

Reply to
darkman

Take your brass to a trophy shop. They have a very thin double sided tape used for plaques and trophies. That will hold very well.

Eric Morehouse ELM Woodworks, LLC

Reply to
elmwood

Epoxy will stick to brass better than most anything (I'd sand the glue surface first), but it's pretty messy stuff. I'd say contact cement would probably be your best bet. Neither adhesive will hurt the lacquer, but glueing something to a painted surface isn't usually a good idea. That's pretty thin brass though so you should be ok. (What are they, nameplates or plaques of some kind?)

Oh yeah, it would probably be wise to test out the various methods > I have a project that I am doing, an I need to be able to laminate thin

Reply to
Steve Turner

nope, can't use the tape, that wouldn't look right, it need to be glued and lacquered afterward. I am making the puzzle box from the movie hellraiser.

elmwood wrote:

Reply to
darkman

Reply to
Mark Chandler

Sounds like a nameplate application.

I'd use double backed tape designed specifically for the task.

Attach tape to brass plate first, then attach to the wood at your leisure.

You don't indicate the size of the brass plate, but sounds like it is probably 1"x2" or something close.

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

I'm not sure what you mean by "screw up" the finish - since I assume you only intend to put the adhesive on the back of the brass.

I'd try epoxy.

************************************ Chris Merrill snipped-for-privacy@christophermerrillZZZ.net (remove the ZZZ to contact me) ************************************
Reply to
Chris Merrill

I can't picture the thing. Haven't seen that in years. You can do a lot with a Sharpie and some ferric chloride though. How did you etch it? How thick is the brass?

As far as attaching it, I second the recommendation to use tape. Dig around. I have a roll of very thin double-sided tape that uses the same tenacious adhesive as the foam core stuff, but without the foam, so things stuck with it sit almost flush with the surface. I have no idea where I picked it up though.

Reply to
Silvan