Laminate trimmers / mini routers

I am looking for a laminate trimmer, but will really use it as a mini router. Though I have lots of woodworking experience, I have never used one of these. They seem ideal for fitting hinges, small edge trimming. (Seems musical instrument makers use them a lot...
What brands have you used -- do you like them? I did seach the wreck archives, and read what I could find. So far, I am leaning toward Bosch (due to my good experience with Bosch routers.) Looks like the tool itself is $100, with extra bases costing, well, extra :)
Thanks in advance.
Matthew
On Sun, 23 Jan 2005 13:26:19 -0600, "Matthew"

I've used two different Porter Cables and own the Bosch. All three work very well for me, as a mini router.
I usually use mine for free handing hinge mortises, small roundovers and chamfers, and freehand cleanouts of half-blind dovetails. Once, I even used it for trimming laminate. <G>
I have never experienced a moment when I wished any of these three had some sort of additional feature or was better made. I would purchase any of them again, probably shopping by price.
Barry
I'm a big bosch fan so that would be my first choice, although I own both PC an Bosch trimmers, either would be a good choice.
Alternative, at least from an instrument makers perspective, is a dremel tool fitted with a precision base ( http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Tools/Special_tools_for:_Routing/1/Precision_Router_Base.html ) , I do a lot of inlay work, so control is importance, and the dremel is easier to handle. Keep in mind that I don't have a need to hog out much.
-nick

Matthew wrote:

They gave the Dewalt top ranking.
I too use my laminate trimmer as a mini router for mortising hinges, etc.
~Mark.
7310 has the power, once used as production pocket hole motor! See: http://www.patwarner.com/7310_subbases.html for a couple of pix with big stabilizing subbases.
Pat, what's your pick of laminate trimmers?
310 for light work, 7310 for stuff up to 1HP.
Any idea why the 310 cost more even though it has a smaller motor than the 7310? Most the other specs are about the same for the two, too. BTW, I like your router bases! I may be a customer soon.
Pat, what's your pick of laminate trimmers?
On 23 Jan 2005 14:34:18 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@patwarner.com wrote:

I have used one for over 2 years in my nasty tropicals it works very well.
--
Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes
On Sun, 23 Jan 2005 13:26:19 -0600, "Matthew"

I have the P-C 310. I love it. For a long time I was unhappy with the collet (" only) as it is not a self ejecter like the superb collets in full sized P-C routers. In fact I used to keep a small roundover bit in it all of the time to avoid having to change (not a bad bit to keep in there; I rarely felt the need to change).
However, several people have told of the trick of tapping the collet nut with the wrench after loosening and the bit slides right out. Once I tried it and found that it worked great, I elevated the '310 to the category of "Perfect."
You can't go wrong with it.
The 7310 is not the same machine, by the way, despite the similar model numbers.
- - LRod
Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite
Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999
http://www.woodbutcher.net
Thanks for the tip on "tapping the collet nut with the wrench after loosening."

What LRod said matches my experience, but I bought the PC7310 first, and then, a year later, the PC310. Both were improved quite a bit by purchasing Pat Warner's replacement bases. www.patwarner.com
I have a big Freud plunger in the table, a PC69x variable speed soft start dual base kit router handheld, and the two trimmers. If I could only have one router, I think it would be the PC310. It would change how I work, but the trimmers are _that_ useful.
Almost like a tailed block plane.
Patriarch
On Sun, 23 Jan 2005 13:26:19 -0600, "Matthew"

I have and use and mostly like my porter cable trimmer. I have the 3 base installer's kit, which gives me plenty of options. it uses the PC guide bushings, which is a plus for general small router work.
Matthew wrote:

I picked up two Makita trim routers 10 years ago (They're called 3700B these days but look identical). I paid $75 for the pair, used, and I must say, they just won't quit. I am not a huge Makita fan, but these little guys are just great. One has a 1/8" roundover, the other a flush bottom bearing bit. I'd buy them again at full price.
00
Rob