Laminate Trim router opinions needed

Latest project is replacing the kitchen tile countertops (whoever thought tile was a good idea for countertops?) with laminate while we decide what we eventually want to do with the kitchen (that project is one of those, if we do this, then we oughta do that, and that means we need to .... and pretty soon half the house has been remodeled).

I got one set of countertops done, but decided I need to get a laminate trimmer to make the main part of the countertop installation more efficient. Am considering either the Bosch laminate trim kit: or the Porter Cable: laminate trim kit.

Would appreciate any feedback from people who have used either or both of them. I've looked at the archives, but would like any up to date information that might be available.

I like the fact the Bosch has an edge guide, but have not been happy with my Bosch 1613 EVS, especially the fact that there is no way to center the collet short of making a new base.

Porter Cable has been the de-facto router standard for years, but the laminate trim kit has no edge guide nor any way to attach one from what I have been able to read in the archives.

Thanks in advance

Reply to
Mark & Juanita

I have the Bosch "Colt" and an older model Porter Cable. The Porter Cable is *not* variable speed and I don't particularly care for the height adjustment set-up. I bought the Bosch for those reasons. I'm not familiar with the latest models from PC. I'm pleased with the Bosch.

Max

Reply to
Max

Yea, yea, yea...I make countertops for a living. *S* Used them all. Don't like many.

Makita makes a good laminate trimmer. Those are the ones I use now.

Reply to
Robatoy

... snip

Thanks

Reply to
Mark & Juanita

I knew that

Was hoping you'd chime in on this because of the fact you do this for a living.

What do you like about the Makita that makes you prefer it?

Thanks.

Reply to
Mark & Juanita

They just never quit and can take a hit. The guide is nice and beefy, adjusts easily and stays put. The motor has always been reliable and bit changes are simple. A couple of them are now 20 years old.

BTW.. a regular router works just fine too.

I use a 7-degree solid carbide bit and a straight bit in another.

Reply to
Robatoy

I own the older Bosch, and have used these:

for a decent amount of time.

The older Bosch and the second PC have a depth adjustment that I'd rate as average. My favorite was the PC309, but it was $60 more than the Bosch when I purchased it.

I don't do a lot of laminate trimming. My trimmer gets used more as a light duty router for freehand hinge mortising (on people doors, not furniture), freehand dovetail roughing out, and small chamfers and roundovers on large amounts of trim.

I have never used an edge guide to do laminate, preferring a square bearing guided chamfer or straight bit, so I can't comment on the edge guides on any of them. The plastic square cover on the bearing prevents it from spinning and burning the material if the bearing should seize.

If I were buying one today, I'd buy the PC309, Bosch Colt, or maybe even the Rigid trim router.

**
**

B A R R Y

I have the PC kit. I haven't used the Bosch, so I can't compare, but I can talk a little about the PC. mine is at least 15 years old. it has a few options for edge guides. the new ones may be different, for some reason. according to the PC kit includes "edge guide no. 73100".

mine also takes the standard PC guide bushings. making custom sub- bases is pretty easy if you have a way to counterbore the screw heads.

the attachment between the motor and bases is a little clumsy. it benefits from a little smoothing and a fender washer.

overall I'm pretty happy with mine.

Reply to
bridgerfafc

Thanks, that's the kind of information I was seeking

Yeah, it works, but it tips more easily to the detriment of the laminate material, especially in the hands of someone who spends too much time flying a desk.

I don't just plan to use the trimmer for this job, it looks like a good tool for router inlay work as well.

Reply to
Mark & Juanita

... snip

Thanks

Reply to
Mark & Juanita

Thanks

Reply to
Mark & Juanita

Thanks

Reply to
Mark & Juanita

I prefer "plungeability" for inlay stuff.

Have you ever seen the price of the aftermarket plunge base for the Bosch trimmer? Yeooowwww! ;^(

I ended up putting a clear lexan baseplate on a PC690 plunge base.

**
**

B A R R Y

I purchased a Bosch Trim Router PR20EVSK-RT as a reconditioned unit. It is either a lemon or Bosch has missed the mark in the design and manufacturing of this tool. The circuit board has failed twice and the off/on switch had to be replaced. I have not been able to use the router for more than 30 minutes total time. It just failed again, and I suspect it is the circuit board that has blown out. Initially, I thought my cuts were too deep so I decreased the cut to 1/32nd of an inch. I use it primarily to cut out shallow mortises for hinges. It is now out of warranty so I will have to pay for the repair but I think I will buy a Porter Cable and see if he fails. No one at Bosch will assist me in trying to determine if I own a lemon. I would NOT buy a Bosch trim router again.

HM

Reply to
j7jeeps