laminate outdoors

Is it possible to use laminates (the stuff used on counter tops) outdoors? I would think expansion/contraction of the wood base may be a problem and I don't know how the glue would hold up. I never see laminate applied to anything outdoors so I assume there is a reason why you only see it inside.

The laminate itself would do fine outdoors. The problem you run into is the substrate. Most applications are done with particle board or mdf which will not hold up outside. However, you may want to try ac plywood. It might work but quite honestly, I haven't ever noticed laminate outside before. Be adventerous. SH

I built a table saw extension using a plywood substrate and high pressure laminate. For this application, it's acceptable. But I noticed that when the sun hit it, the surface heats up (and therefore the glue) and sometimes lifts the edges a little. This settles back down when the surface cools. Obviously, I don't let it get wet. I doubt laminate will hold up "forever" outside.
Hope this helps.
-m