Laminate flooring

I was just wondering what is the best blade for cutting laminate flooring? I have about 40 cuts to make with my circular saw, I was hoping I wouldn't have to use more than one blade. I picked up a good quality 42 carbide tooth narrow blade would this be adequate and make a clean cut? (i.e no chipping?). I wasn't sure the riptide blade that came with my saw would be any good on laminate (20 tooth carbide).
Thanks.
On Fri, 5 Sep 2003 23:12:57 -0600, Richard Beri wrote

I had to cut about 1000+ sq feet of the stuff. I can't remember how many cuts but there were a lot. I used up two of the 40 tooth carbide blades sold by HF at $7.99 each.
-Bruce
The brother who did it professionally for a few years, used a nonferrous metal blade.
Bruce wrote:

IMHO, laminate flooring ranks right up there with peel and stick linoleum tiles. Looks just as cheap. Sorry to offend anyone...guess I'm just partial to the real deal. Jana
I don't know how recently you looked at laminate flooring but some of the more recent stuff actually looks quite good. I would agree with your statement maybe 3-4 years ago.
In other news, I'm doing a poll to kick off a new forum (http://laminateflooring.oncloud8.com/viewtopic?t=3 ). Here are the results thus far on brands... come vote those of you who are interested...
Alloc Flooring 1% [ 3 ] Armstrong Laminate Flooring 5% [ 9 ] Balterio Laminate Flooring 1% [ 3 ] BHK Laminate Flooring 1% [ 2 ] Columbia Flooring 0% [ 0 ] Harmonics Laminate Flooring (Costco) 15% [ 25 ] Loc Floor 4% [ 8 ] Mannington Floors 3% [ 6 ] Meyer Laminate Flooring 0% [ 0 ] Minfloor Laminate Flooring 0% [ 0 ] Pergo Flooring 7% [ 13 ] Quick Step Laminate Flooring 8% [ 14 ] Shaw Laminate Flooring 5% [ 9 ] ShawMark Laminate 0% [ 0 ] Sovereign Laminate 0% [ 0 ] TrafficMaster Laminate Flooring (Home Depot) 3% [ 6 ] Tundra Laminate Flooring (IKEA) 4% [ 8 ] Westhollow Laminate Flooring 0% [ 0 ] Wilsonart Flooring 4% [ 7 ] Witex Laminate Flooring 4% [ 7 ] Other (which one?) 9% [ 15 ] I'm not sure yet 6% [ 11 ] I don't know if I even want laminate flooring 11% [ 19 ]
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Jana) wrote in message

I absolutely agree. I recently checked out my neighbor's kitchen remodel and thought that they had a slate floor installed. Then she reiterated that it was laminate! I looked again and still had a hard distinguishing the laminate from the REAL tile in the adjacent room. Amazing stuff. I've got Wilson Art in my kitchen which I installed about 3-4 years ago; it still looks nice. Of course it doesn't have the identical look and feel to a professionally installed oak floor, but it looks good, is VERY durable and took much less time to install than a traditional floor.
Some very expensive new homes in the Bay Area are equipped with laminate floors, so apparently folks don't consider them "second rate".
David
Tim wrote:

David wrote:

I had little choice (3 years ago). I wanted wood but installation on a slab limited me to low-profile options. I used "Pickering" brand and it looks great. Has a much different sound than real wood but given my options (carpet or tile) this stuff was the right choice.
-Bruce
I ruined a REAL wood floor finish with my office chair. I refinished that floor and moved my pc and office equipment to another room with a REAL wood floor. Now THAT floor's finish has come off. If I was rolling around on a laminate floor, there wouldn't be a mark on it...
Morale of my little story is you've got some benefit from having a laminate floor! :)
David