Laid Off and Executive Desk Design

Page 2 of 3
RE: Subject
What market are you trying to serve?
Is this a personal desk complete with an additional conferance table in the room or a stand alone piece that may double as a conferance table from time to time?
Lew

I edited to highlight the pertinent parts in your original post. You're welcome!

Yes, you're looking for an unpaid research assistant. :)~

You have a flawed concept of courtesy. At no point did you ask for Normal or even normal. Then again, I didn't ask for courtesy in a reply so maybe I shouldn't be surprised I didn't get it.
If normal is what you're trying to do, why do you even need any input at all? Why do you need input on what _woods_ to use? I'm glad I didn't add anything on ball vs. bun feet, as you asked - I don't think I could have weathered the scorn.
You ask for input on something different for some deep pocket people, something special, and that's exactly what I posted. If nothing else, you can get an almost unlimited number of ideas from the exuberance of a Wooton desk.
On Mon, 14 Apr 2008 07:00:43 -0700 (PDT), RicodJour

Sorry. I thought I was being funny.
Apparently not.
Tom Watson tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet www.home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1

Maybe funny, just not in a normal way. ;) No harm, no foul.
I've dabbled, drooled and dribbled over desk designs. The Wooton is a pip. Some of the examples are nicer than any of those high falutin' Newport secretaries (at least the four legged kind). It seems to me that you could probably incorporate some new features into one. You could have it double/triple as a safe room and fallout shelter.

I dont know if its an executive feature but I always liked the desks that have the monitor recessed inside with a piece of glass overtop.
On Mon, 14 Apr 2008 11:09:08 -0700 (PDT), depictureboy

That's not executive, that's the ticket counter @ JFK. <G>

Don't give up your daytime job...
--
FF

On Sun, 27 Apr 2008 10:09:03 -0700 (PDT), Fred the Red Shirt

Too late.
Tom Watson tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet www.home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1
On Mon, 14 Apr 2008 07:00:43 -0700, RicodJour wrote:

Ease up! He was joking.
On Sun, 13 Apr 2008 20:35:58 -0400, Tom Watson wrote:

I'll admit I thought of the Wooton desk - with a grin. A prototype would keep you too busy to worry for quite some time :-).
On Mon, 14 Apr 2008 09:41:50 -0700, Larry Blanchard

I tried to rip off the Wooten some years back for a computer desk design but it was too much of a Swiss Army Knife... a SAK that looks like a refrigerator.
Tom Watson tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet www.home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1

This works for me:
http://www.kevinrodel.com/prairie-desk.shtml http://www.kevinrodel.com/taliesin-desk.shtml
There's more of his stuff in the Taunton Press book "In the Craftsman Style".
Simple lines and design for the desk, hardware can go in another cabinet (which you could also build/sell). Functionality (keyboard drawers, &tc.) could/should be customized to the user's needs or wants. Heck, maybe you could convince them to go wireless. And sell them the stuff.
-Zz
Tom,
Were I in your shoes and had a smidgeon of your woodworking talents, I would be looking at this situation as a marketing issue and not as a technical design challenge.
For me, I would be looking to hook up with a complimentary business (such as a high-end, interior decorator firm) where you can leverage their marketing. Their design sense will lead you to what sells for a particular market. You can spend a lot of time coming up with a desk design - or spend that time being more productive by marketing yourself rather than a desk.
Bob S.

snipe......

I absolutely concur. "I can build your dream."

As an old marketing guy, I concur. You got hellova portfolio. Don't limit yourself. There are a hundred professionals out there who would love to have a man of your considrable talents in their rolodex. Do whatever is reqired to get the word out there, including a good web presence.
And don't be too proud to take on smaller jobs to get yourself extablished in your new marketing niche. Problem solvers are worth their weight in gold. Just think of yourself as a knight in shining armor with considerable woodworking skills. Make sure other folks think of you in the same way.
And as this thing develops, you may end up in a whole different area than you originally planned for. Stay flexible. Go to where the opportunities are.

Thanks for the reply.
I agree with you basically on all counts.
I need to go through the design process, so that I have something to bring to the table other than labor.
Tom Watson tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet www.home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1

I can relate. A year older at the time, and the embarrassment of the Corporation was when the consolidation/globalization strategy was determined to be a failure not what was happening to me and mine.
My choice was to work a transfer to the frozen north or negotiate a severance package and go my own way. Chose the latter.

Glad you have a plan. Mine was to move to the Gulf Coast and specialize in marine joinery. Then came Katrina.......marine joinery doesn't seem to be a priority need at this time. Plus lost a bunch of my equipment and supplies down there.

Believe the need to be fairly variable by style, personality, and activity. I had the traditional big fancy wooden desk and credenza, more for status (not my desire, inherited it) than for any functional reason. When in the office, spent most of the time turned to the computer work station where almost all the communication and work took place. But my management style was "walkabout" Preferred to spend my time on the factory floor or the new product lab asking questions to stimulate thought or to offer encouragement. I hardly needed a desk.
I think you will need to be flexible. Custom to the individual. And technology is changing so fast, hard to get locked into any particular design.
Most execs. are hot for meeting room conference tables, and adding tech hook ups for power point projectors and the like is a thought although many hang from the ceiling these days.
Frank

On Mon, 14 Apr 2008 10:57:19 -0500, Frank Boettcher

Thanks for the reply.
Too many good thoughts in there to address individually but I appreciate your response.
Tom Watson tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet www.home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1

Undermount hardware. Saw it in FWW yesterday in Lowes. Full review of 9 models. Pricy, but for what you want that shouldn't be a problem.
Tom Watson wrote:

I'm with Lee Michaels. Be a problem-solver and don't limit yourself. However, on the topics of desks, I have just two factors: ergonomics and visual impact.
Visual impact is just that...many higher-ups want to have office furniture that will impress others coming into the office, while others will want to tone it down a bit. You'll need to find out what they're trying to accomplish and build accordingly.
I'm a software designer and work at a computer all day long, so I'm highly sensitive to computer ergonomics.
Too many regular desks are too high for effective computer use. For comfort when using a computer for long periods of time, elbows should be bent at roughly 90 degrees. For most people, this means that the keyboard and mouse should be as low as possible over the knees (so no apron or drawer under the keyboard tray). The mouse should be at the same level as the keyboard, and right beside it. This means that for ambidextrous use the keyboard tray needs to be on the order of 48" wide.
The top of the monitor should be even with the user's eyes, or a bit lower. The keyboard should be directly in front of the monitor, not off to the side.
Room lighting should be above the monitor or slightly behind it, but not so far away that it is distracting for the user. Lights in front of the monitor (and windows behind the user) tend to cause screen glare.
Chris