Laid Off and Executive Desk Design

{massive blog snipped} I edited to highlight the pertinent parts in your original post. You're welcome!

Yes, you're looking for an unpaid research assistant. :)~

You have a flawed concept of courtesy. At no point did you ask for Normal or even normal. Then again, I didn't ask for courtesy in a reply so maybe I shouldn't be surprised I didn't get it.

If normal is what you're trying to do, why do you even need any input at all? Why do you need input on what _woods_ to use? I'm glad I didn't add anything on ball vs. bun feet, as you asked - I don't think I could have weathered the scorn.

You ask for input on something different for some deep pocket people, something special, and that's exactly what I posted. If nothing else, you can get an almost unlimited number of ideas from the exuberance of a Wooton desk.

RicodJour

I can relate. A year older at the time, and the embarrassment of the Corporation was when the consolidation/globalization strategy was determined to be a failure not what was happening to me and mine.

My choice was to work a transfer to the frozen north or negotiate a severance package and go my own way. Chose the latter.

Glad you have a plan. Mine was to move to the Gulf Coast and specialize in marine joinery. Then came Katrina.......marine joinery doesn't seem to be a priority need at this time. Plus lost a bunch of my equipment and supplies down there.

Believe the need to be fairly variable by style, personality, and activity. I had the traditional big fancy wooden desk and credenza, more for status (not my desire, inherited it) than for any functional reason. When in the office, spent most of the time turned to the computer work station where almost all the communication and work took place. But my management style was "walkabout" Preferred to spend my time on the factory floor or the new product lab asking questions to stimulate thought or to offer encouragement. I hardly needed a desk.

I think you will need to be flexible. Custom to the individual. And technology is changing so fast, hard to get locked into any particular design.

Most execs. are hot for meeting room conference tables, and adding tech hook ups for power point projectors and the like is a thought although many hang from the ceiling these days.

Frank

Reply to
Frank Boettcher

Sorry. I thought I was being funny.

Apparently not.

Tom Watson tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet

Tom Watson

I'll admit I thought of the Wooton desk - with a grin. A prototype would keep you too busy to worry for quite some time :-).

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

Ease up! He was joking.

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

I tried to rip off the Wooten some years back for a computer desk design but it was too much of a Swiss Army Knife... a SAK that looks like a refrigerator.

Tom Watson tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet

Tom Watson

Maybe funny, just not in a normal way. ;) No harm, no foul.

I've dabbled, drooled and dribbled over desk designs. The Wooton is a pip. Some of the examples are nicer than any of those high falutin' Newport secretaries (at least the four legged kind). It seems to me that you could probably incorporate some new features into one. You could have it double/triple as a safe room and fallout shelter.

RicodJour

I dont know if its an executive feature but I always liked the desks that have the monitor recessed inside with a piece of glass overtop.

Reply to
depictureboy

I'm with Lee Michaels. Be a problem-solver and don't limit yourself. However, on the topics of desks, I have just two factors: ergonomics and visual impact.

Visual impact is just that...many higher-ups want to have office furniture that will impress others coming into the office, while others will want to tone it down a bit. You'll need to find out what they're trying to accomplish and build accordingly.

I'm a software designer and work at a computer all day long, so I'm highly sensitive to computer ergonomics.

Too many regular desks are too high for effective computer use. For comfort when using a computer for long periods of time, elbows should be bent at roughly 90 degrees. For most people, this means that the keyboard and mouse should be as low as possible over the knees (so no apron or drawer under the keyboard tray). The mouse should be at the same level as the keyboard, and right beside it. This means that for ambidextrous use the keyboard tray needs to be on the order of 48" wide.

The top of the monitor should be even with the user's eyes, or a bit lower. The keyboard should be directly in front of the monitor, not off to the side.

Room lighting should be above the monitor or slightly behind it, but not so far away that it is distracting for the user. Lights in front of the monitor (and windows behind the user) tend to cause screen glare.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Friesen

Sun, Apr 13, 2008, 5:20pm From: snipped-for-privacy@erehwon.com (Tom=A0Watson) As some of you know, about five years ago I gave up the cabinet shop and entered corporate life as project manager for a millwork company.

Hi'ya Tom. I don't come around here often anymore, too.l. I don't know what, but it is now. Never glance at more than the first two pages anymore, so just happened to see this thread. I'm one of the 10%, I didn'tr know. Getting laid off is a bummer. I didn't exactly get laid off, unless you can call retting unemployed because they want out of business laid off. Happened twice. Either way, it sucks.

A major portion of my military time was spent running a desk. Only one was wood, that I can reall off hand. One thing I really liked about it was it came down to the floor all around, not just the legs. That way I could slip off my dress boots and no one would know. One feature I would have liked would have been some sor of foot rest uner it.d

Personally, my view on an 'executive desk' is it's usually a wheelbarrow load of money spend on a desk for a guy that doesn't do any work anyway. Faux painted MDF would probably do for most of 'em, most of 'em probably wouldn't be able to tell the difference anyway.

JOAT

10 Out Of 10 Terrorists Prefer Hillary For President - Bumper Sticker I do not have a problem with a woman president - except for Hillary.
Reply to
J T

That's not executive, that's the ticket counter @ JFK.

**
**

B A R R Y

A lot of replies, but this is such a good topic, I feel compelled to throw in my two cents.

If the goal is custom, then I think a consideration of what may be deemed "custom" for the client.

My mind initially thought of the Andy Rooney desk I see on his 60 minutes segments. A long time ago Andy dedicated his segment to his desk. It is a top made from a slab cut from a tree. To my eyes it is a terrific custom piece to adorn a desk. Below this top I think it is standard drawers.

If the goal is something unusual, then such a slab of a tree is a great top. As for the cabinet beneath, well lots of potential.

A recent high tech idea is a "pop-up" LCD/plasma display. I am considering this for a home LCD purchase. There are several mechanisms around. I did a google search to see what is available.

The executives likely will love whatever they feel is not otherwise available. Maybe "pop-up" displays will soon be the norm, but as of today, they are unusual.

I also like drawers or doors which open themselves after an initial click. Another example where hardware is available.

I think the "wow" factor helps in the executive decision process.

Dave Paine.

Reply to
Tyke

Thanks for the reply.

What I'm seeing a lot of is guys who drop a laptop onto a port replicator at work and this allows them the use of a larger desktop screen, instant hookup to the CAT 5 network, USB connection to a local printer, card reader connection, scanner connection, etc.

Many seem to like using a local printer, rather than the networked one, because of security and not having to wait in line - same for the scanner.

Many also seem to want storage for at least some files that are either sensitive, or that they are currently working with.

I'd like to walk a line between dedicating space to specific hardware and simply creating generic space that can be used for the hardware.

My own setup is more or less like this. I have a slide out that handles a printer and a scanner. I use a 22" flat screen monitor (because I'm an Excel junky and I love how many columns I can see) and I use a wireless keyboard and wireless mouse.

Like you, I'm thinking of staying with a traditional desk design, while allowing (or, at least thinking about) how the hardware can live in the desk without taking it over, visually.

Tom Watson tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet

Tom Watson

Thanks for the reply.

That is an interesting point about the depth and length.

I need to balance what is actually needed to do work against the desire of the client to impress people. I suppose that will vary per individual but I'm trying to come up with a norm that I can use to begin designing from.

I like the bookcase idea but worry about the user having to bend over and move the chair to get to the books. Something to continue to think about.

I'm a bit surprised by your comment about the writing pullouts. I've had desks with them but didn't use them because all that I have seen have drooped and I didn't like the feeling of writing on an out of level surface. Perhaps, if that problem could be solved without a lot of nasty hardware showing, it would be a useful item.

Tom Watson tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet

Tom Watson

Thanks for replying.

I like the overhang idea and I wonder if it could be incorporated into the design without being a separate item, or without having the overhang detract from the overall look.

Tom Watson tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet

Tom Watson

Don't give up your daytime job...

Reply to
Fred the Red Shirt

Thanks for the reply.

I agree with you basically on all counts.

I need to go through the design process, so that I have something to bring to the table other than labor.

Tom Watson tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet

Tom Watson

Thanks for the reply.

Too many good thoughts in there to address individually but I appreciate your response.

Tom Watson tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet

Tom Watson

Thanks for the reply.

I'm with you on the difference between show and go for varying clients.

On the ergonomic side - I need to solve that without having the Frankenstein hardware that is out there now for keyboard trays. I have some thoughts but nothing yet on paper.

Tom Watson tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet

Tom Watson

Thanks for the reply.

A privacy screen for the boot hiding is certainly an option.

As far as the "wheelbarrow load of money" - I want that - right in my pocket.