Laguna or MiniMax

In a 16" band Saw . . . Pros, Cons, Experience?
Any input appreciated . . . .
Currently saving nickels for a 16" MiniMax....
The November 2004 issue of American Woodworker magazine has a good review of heavy duty bandsaws, including both Laguna and MiniMax.

Here's an interesting article by an individual who compares the two with actual field testing.
http://www.woodcentral.com/cgi-bin/readarticle.pl?dir=reviews&file=articles_206.shtml
Bob

Note that the opinions of that oft-cited article are perhaps two years old. Models and market conditions have probably changed some since then.
Patriarch

True. the top end Laguna saws are probably equal to the Mini-max, since they upgraded their motors on their higher end saws. I think Laguna ought to focus on the high end. Their lower end saws are among some serious competition and I don't know that they compete all that well.
Bob
BillyBob wrote:

resaw depth. Pretty similar to the Laguna LT16HD. Minimax is about 70 lbs. heavier, has a cast iron fence and a few other features, but it's getting to be a coin toss.

I went through a similiar thing you are. I chose the minimax. You won't regret it after you wipe all the cosmoline off. <g> Great machine. SH

I chose Minimax as well... Out freakin' standing machine! Tom

On Sun, 21 Aug 2005 21:13:41 -0600, Steve DeMars wrote

Check out Yahoo's discussion groups, lots of info there.
I have a previous generation MM16. Fantastic saw! The new generation has greater cut depth and more (4.8) horsepower. I think this class of saw is worth the upgrade price over the standard Jet/Delta/Griz in the same size class _if_ you need the extra features (heavy resawing, etc.). If you can afford it, the 24" saws are even nicer.
-Bruce
I've got the Laguna Tools 16 SEC - http://home.comcast.net/~charliebcz/BandSaw.html
only gripes
1. table tilt turnion is stamped steel, not cast iron 2. rack in rack and pinion blade guard is nylon not metal 3. table tilts only one way beyond about 3 degrees 4. to tilt the table there's a handy knob on one side but you need a wrench for the other side's bolt
As for the cast iron fence - the LTs have them but they're too short for resawing. For that matter the tables are kind of small. You'll probably end up making a new larger table - with extensions AND a resaw fence. This one's the one I did based on American Woodworker article.
http://home.comcast.net/~charliebcz/Resawing1.html
I'm not sure what you'd need a 4.5 hp motor for, even for resawing or cutting up mini-logs. A 3/4" 3 TPI hook tooth blade will do it IF you set the guides up right, have the proper tension and a fence that can be set to parallel the blade's "lead" My saw will handle 1 1/4" blades but they just generate more heat and the tension they need ain't great for the bearings.
Having 18 or 24 inches of exposed blade puts my teeth on edge unless a power feeder is used.
Bottom line - when you get up into the $1200 to $2000 bandsaws they'll all do just about anything you can think of a bandsaw can do - fairly easily.
charlie b