Ladders Little Giant or Werner

I am interested in either a Little Giant 22 1AA or Werner MT-22. If anyone has any experience with these ladders let me know. Is one better then the other? The Little Giant costs much more then the Werner but is it worth it?

Reply to
Steve R

I have a Little Giant, the original maker of this ladder IIRC. It is the on that extends to 22' Type-I and is a 5' stepladder in the closed position. I also recently bought a Gorilla Ladder from HD recently and it is basically the same ladder. It is the 11' Type-IA extend model and 3' step ladder in its shortest setting. IIRC HD also has these in larger sizes. The one I bought was $99. The Little Giant was $279 delivered with the step platform included.

There are many manufacturers making copies of the Little Giant and not all use the same type hinge lock that the Little Giant has. The Werner appears to have a lock similar to the Little Giant. The lock IMHO is what lets you like or hate the ladder. The Little Giant hinge lock is simple and easy to use. The Gorilla ladder uses a very similar hinge lock and also works quite nicely although I do have to insure that the hinge locks with each adjustment. The Little Giant hinge has worked perfectly every time since I bought it about 4 years ago.

"AVOID" the Cosco "Worlds Greatest Ladder" It is a bad copy of the Little Giant and uses the cheap and extreme PIA hinge lock that is commonly found on the 4 sectioned ladders that have 3 hinge locks. The Little Giant and Gorilla both use the large push button lock release that self locks. IIRC Sam's and Lowe's sell the Cosco.

Reply to
Leon

I've used Little Giant ladders for 25+ years. Wouldn't use anything else.

Reply to
Rick Chamberlain

I'm a Little Giant fan too! But after 25+ years, that sucker is sure getting heavy! Too heavy for my wife. Now every time she wants to use it, I have to go get it out. It will clearly outlast me. But don't expect the decals and labels to last forever. The decals and labels are starting to fade on mine.

My best 'tool' investment ever.

Jack

Reply to
John Flatley

Little Giant. I used to have one and loved it. If I ever find the dude that stole it I'll feed him to the Pirahnas.

Werner on the other hand, they just shut down there manufacturing plant here in Alabama. To move it to Mexico. I won't purchase a Werner unless I hear some pretty good justification. Friggin bums.

Reply to
John

I just bought a Little Giant 1A 22' off of eBay from pkladderco.

This is the first ladder I have owned but I have used and borrowed many. This is the first ladder that I truly feel safe on. I think it is worth every single penny I spent on it.

As far as the comment of it being heavy, that it is. That may be the only negative about the ladder but I will gladly take that for the added safety.

David

Reply to
David Gage (MVP)

I just took delivery this week of a Little Giant 22, that I purchased at the Woodworking show in Sacramento. This was the first ladder I've felt safe on in years. I'm not a little guy, and all four of my sons are taller than I am, but on this ladder, two of us were standing 8' up, and the thing still felt solid.

Werner built the two fiberglass ladders I have, purchased from the local independent hardware guy. They are sturdy, and reliable, but those are the ones my sons can borrow now. The Little Giant functionally replaces two step ladders and an extension ladder.

Patriarch

Reply to
patriarch

I have one and it's the best ladder I have. It weighs more than some ladders, but if you're going to climb a 22' ladder you should be able to lift it.

RB

David Gage (MVP) wrote:

Reply to
RB

I just bought a Werner MT-17 at Costco - it appears to be exactly the same as the Little Giant Model 17, which I've only seen on TV. The price for this Werner MT-17 is $219 all over the internet, but Costco for some reason is selling them today (first time I've seen them there) for $99... That's the tool bargain of the year, near as I can tell. I've been outside in the yard playing on this ladder, setting it up in all the different positions as on the TV infomercial for the Little Giant, and I am loving it already. I'm going to sell my two other extension ladders and pick up one more of these Werner's - perhaps an MT-22 or MT-26 if I can find a good deal.

- Cecil

Reply to
CecilWilliams

You can get the Gorilla, another clone, at HD. $99 for the 13' and $199 for the 21'.

Reply to
Leon