Ladder length

I'm building a ladder from bunk beds plan out of wood mag. The bed I'm building the ladder is for is a different height. How do I figure the length of the ladder. Thanks, darrell

I would say the simplest way would be to use the concept of a similar triangle. Use the ratio of the height of the actual bed to the height in the plans as the multiplier of the length of the ladder.
todd
"Darrell" writes:

If you have ever been on a sailboat, you know they have a thing called a companionway ladder.
Everyone is different.
Take a trip down to your local library and check out "Skenes, Elements of Yacht Design".
The subject is discussed in detail along with how to solve the problem you describe graphically.
BTW, the book is long out of print, so the library is your only good choice.
HTH
--
Lew

On Tue, 20 Jan 2004 03:44:44 GMT, "Lew Hodgett"

Looks like they've reprinted it - http://tinyurl.com/yv8np
Someone said it's the 6th edition (as opposed to the most current 8th) that is the reprint though. Not sure if it makes a difference or not.
JP
Darrell wrote:

The usual angle is out 1 ft at the base for every 4 feet of rise. Hope that helps. Dave in Fairfax
--
reply-to doesn't work
use:

7 7 7 7 7 7 7
--

Larry Wasserman Baltimore, Maryland
On Tue, 20 Jan 2004 18:22:36 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@fellspt.charm.net (Lawrence Wasserman) wrote:

On Mon, 19 Jan 2004 19:56:45 -0600, Darrell wrote:

Are the beds for little kids, big kids or adults? The distance between wrungs will vary depending on the intended occupants of the beds.

It's for kids. It's not the wrungs that I'm worried about. It's the total length. Thanks, Darrell
Darrel,
If you know the height of the bed and the distance from vertical that the ladder has to be, then my grade 10 math teacher will be really happy. You can use the same formula that she taught me soooo many years ago. A*A + B*B = C*C where A is the height of the bed and B is the distance from plumb and C is the length of the ladder. If you want proof I have that too.... ;) You can see it here, I used that just a couple of weeks ago to make new ladders for my son's bunk bed.
http://www.members.shaw.ca/sillyarsesrus/DSCF0020.JPG He has been clambering up and down and no complaints or tumbles yet!
Hope this helps,
Howard

Thanks, this seems to work. Now all I have to do is figure out the angles to cut. Thanks, Darrell

Darrell wrote:

What angles do you need to know?
Do you know the angles on the origional design?
ARM
The angles I needed were the one for the dados and the bottom. Thanks everyone for the input, I got it done. Thanks, Darrell

--------------D09882F878A51FAD24EC6670 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Darrell wrote:

If you want maintain all the original angles and just change the ladder length, use the following.
Original Bed Height = OH Original Ladder Length = OL New Bed Height = NH New Ladder Length = NL
NL = OL * (NH / OH)
Hope this helps ARM
--------------D09882F878A51FAD24EC6670 Content-Type: text/html; charset=us-ascii Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
--------------D09882F878A51FAD24EC6670--