Lacquering metals

As I said before, still learing and getting experience with that actual use of the things I've been reading about, so forgive me asking if this has an obvious answer - what are you referring to as clear coat? I do not recall hearing any particular finish just called clear coat.

Thanks Mike

Reply to
Michael Joel

I have used lacquer on polished brass. The trick is to get all the polish off Stick type metal polishes have a grease or wax base. After the buffing you should clean the metal with acetone as someone has already mentioned I don't think alcohol will cut it.

A light coat of rattle can lacquer with another coat when dry. This will not last where the shoes rub but in general will last several years of light use.

Reply to
Gerald Ross

Sorry Mike - automotive clear coat - the stuff that is on your car. It's a urethane and is a catalytic finish. Very nasty stuff - very nasty (isocyanate), so you do not want to breath it in at all. If you can smell it, you are hurting yourself. But - it's one hell of a finish. Best left to those with the right equipment and protective resources. My protective gear costs more than the shop equipment some of us have in this forum - because that's the level of protection you need to shoot this stuff.

*********************************** For those that do not know about this stuff, they need to know that a fresh air supply system must be used, not a respirator. It does permanent damage to the liver and nervous system.

That said, I converted a full face respirator to a fresh air system by putting a fitting where the chemical filter was, and used some 1 1/4" sump pump hose and a small squirrel cage blower.

-- Jim in NC

Reply to
Morgans

As always, lots of good information here. Especially the warnings from Mike M. All of this stuff is too dangerous to take lightly, but the stuff he is talking about I won't even touch.

As far as refinishing metal pedals, I don't really know of anything that will stand up to heavy foot abrasion. In my mind's eye, I can see a virtuoso piano player hammering out the chorus of the 1812 Overture, and jumping up and down on the pedals to be heard.

Very few finishes will hold up to that kind of abrasion, especially when applied over such a hard substrate. I certainly don't know any.

While this may not help the OP, I have refinished brass hardware and it is easy to do if you are patient. I have had great success using a product from the guys at Kwick Kleen as they make a product specifically to put on metal hardware after cleaning and buffing. No etch needed. Good UV resistance, no blushing, and dries quite hard. Comes in a rattle can so you could tape off the pedals and spray in place. As a conversion lacquer, you can clean off the old finish with the proper solvent, and easily touch up the metal after cleaning.

Another product that is great, but no longer available locally (damnit) is PermaLac. That stuff is made for metal specifically, and is a conversion lacquer so it dries quite hard and is very water resistant. In a rattle can as well. Has the same properties as above (easy prep, easy application/renewal of the surface) and I didn't have to pay shipping. Someone carried it around here and I found it at an aircraft specialty finish store where they sell the big boy finishes like Emron and it was considered as the clear "go to' finish for metal.

Since I would be thinking of surface renewal, I would be thinking ease of removal and reapplication, and consider pedal refinishing a maintenance issue rather than thinking of a more permanent solution.

As always, just my 0.02...

Robert

Reply to
nailshooter41

Yes....I have a solid copper wind vane that I clean every few years. I clean and polish with Brasso and get it nice and bright. I then spray the whole thing with a rattle can of lacquer.

It will last several years > I have only tried to lacquer some metal once.

Reply to
Pat Barber

Reply to
tiredofspam

I had the painter at my body shop (where I wrenched) do my '72 Int'l Scout with royal blue Imron. He used undercoat under black Imron on the removable top and it looked really sharp. That was some tough paint. Another friend _gave_ it to me. He said he had sold the plane, after deciding against painting it before he sold it, so the Imron was still in his garage, unmixed. I was happy.

-- Every day I remind myself that my inner and outer life are based on the labors of other men, living and dead, and that I must exert myself in order to give in the same measure as I have received and am still receiving. -- Albert Einstein

Reply to
Larry Jaques

And we all survived without the Nanny State to help us, didn't we?