Lacquering metals

Page 2 of 2

Not sure how it would work on metal, but dewaxed shellac works beautifully as a sealer under lacquer on wood.

You may have buffed it too much or denatured alcohol is not the way to go to make sure it is clean enough.
I do know, from my friends who do copper and brass jewelry, that some metals need to be "pickled" first for best results. Traditionally that's a light acid etch (which acid depends on the metal), but there are mechanical methods as well.
-Wm
A lot of good information - gives me a lot of possible options.
The pedals are usually solid brass, or an iron with nickel or brass plating. They generally come lacquered. But, at least for the pedals, obviously it would seem that is more to prevent tarnish while in storage than anything else :)
For the plated pedals the area the feet rest on usually is worn through after a few years.
I guess there really is no way to protect items under such wear.
Sending them out for replating would of course only be an option for customers with the better pianos.
Like I said - a lot to think about - a lot of information. Thanks all Mike
As always, lots of good information here. Especially the warnings from Mike M. All of this stuff is too dangerous to take lightly, but the stuff he is talking about I won't even touch.
As far as refinishing metal pedals, I don't really know of anything that will stand up to heavy foot abrasion. In my mind's eye, I can see a virtuoso piano player hammering out the chorus of the 1812 Overture, and jumping up and down on the pedals to be heard.
Very few finishes will hold up to that kind of abrasion, especially when applied over such a hard substrate. I certainly don't know any.
While this may not help the OP, I have refinished brass hardware and it is easy to do if you are patient. I have had great success using a product from the guys at Kwick Kleen as they make a product specifically to put on metal hardware after cleaning and buffing. No etch needed. Good UV resistance, no blushing, and dries quite hard. Comes in a rattle can so you could tape off the pedals and spray in place. As a conversion lacquer, you can clean off the old finish with the proper solvent, and easily touch up the metal after cleaning.
Another product that is great, but no longer available locally (damnit) is PermaLac. That stuff is made for metal specifically, and is a conversion lacquer so it dries quite hard and is very water resistant. In a rattle can as well. Has the same properties as above (easy prep, easy application/renewal of the surface) and I didn't have to pay shipping. Someone carried it around here and I found it at an aircraft specialty finish store where they sell the big boy finishes like Emron and it was considered as the clear "go to' finish for metal.
Since I would be thinking of surface renewal, I would be thinking ease of removal and reapplication, and consider pedal refinishing a maintenance issue rather than thinking of a more permanent solution.
As always, just my 0.02...
Robert
IMRON... practically bullet proof.. ok slight exageration. Very toxic 2 part mixture.

On Wed, 22 Feb 2012 21:06:30 -0500, "Mike Marlow"

I had the painter at my body shop (where I wrenched) do my '72 Int'l Scout with royal blue Imron. He used undercoat under black Imron on the removable top and it looked really sharp. That was some tough paint. Another friend _gave_ it to me. He said he had sold the plane, after deciding against painting it before he sold it, so the Imron was still in his garage, unmixed. I was happy.
-- Every day I remind myself that my inner and outer life are based on the labors of other men, living and dead, and that I must exert myself in order to give in the same measure as I have received and am still receiving. -- Albert Einstein
On Thu, 23 Feb 2012 01:01:48 -0500, "Mike Marlow"

And we all survived without the Nanny State to help us, didn't we?
-- Every day I remind myself that my inner and outer life are based on the labors of other men, living and dead, and that I must exert myself in order to give in the same measure as I have received and am still receiving. -- Albert Einstein
Yes....I have a solid copper wind vane that I clean every few years. I clean and polish with Brasso and get it nice and bright. I then spray the whole thing with a rattle can of lacquer.
It will last several years in a salt air environment.