Lacquer vs paint questions

I posted this earlier today, but either my news server never picked it up, or it didn't make it. If it's a duplicate, please reply to this thread as I can't see the other one.
What are the advantages to finishing a piece with lacquer vs latex paint? I have some latex that is close to oil in appearance. I've been using it to paint trim in my new house.
However, my cabinet maker color matched some lacquer to the trim color, and painted some built in bookcases with it. The look is outstanding, and I'm considering using lacquer myself to finish some bookcases and a window seat.
What are the advantages/disadvantages of using lacquer rather than paint? I'll be applying either with an HVLP sprayer.
Thanks, --Michael
Hi Michael, Most HVLP units have a tough time spraying latex well. They do much better with the thinner lacquer. Tinted lacquers generally let the grain show through. If you haven't done it before, spraying a built-in bookcase is an experience. We just finished doing two using WB finishes. We sprayed (hvlp)the first and got a lot of bounce back and it was difficult to see how good the coverage was until the mist cleared. For the second we tried applying using staining pads (sponge covered in terry cloth) and bingo what a treat. Excellent coverage and no runs or brush marks. Cheers, JG
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

Interesting information about the bounce back. I'll keep that in mind. Thanks.
--Michael