Lacquer Spraying

Any comments on spraying lacquer with HVLP. Different systems etc.

Reply to
Joe

I've sprayed a lot of lacquer using a Graco airless, hvlp system, an an automotive-style sprayer (pressurized, powered by compressor).

The Graco airless system gave the best results, but really kicked ou the product, so one had to be really on the lookout for runs an applying to much product in one coat. The automotive gun gave th second best results, but seemed more prone to end up with som orange-peel; for furniture like chairs with lots of rounded verticl services, this gun worked great. My HVLP system works ok with lacquer but doesn't atomize the finish to my liking.

If you are using HVLP, I recommend skipping lacquer entirely an spraying Minwax's polyacrylic. Your won't need to thin it, it spray well, there are no fumes to speak of, it dries quickly and gives a ver durably finish. Also, clean up is much easier with this water-base finish and you won't be left with a coffee can full of solvents t dispose of or evaporate

-- makesawdust

Reply to
makesawdust

I am in the middle of finishing a new hard maple staircase railing. As cheap as I am I have found the cans of deft lacquer to be a great deal! This being my first venture into lacquer I am very happy with its ease of application and nice looking results. It is a big move away from the 1/3 + 1/3 + 1/3 varnish, oil, turpentine for me. I like the clearness of the lacquer for maple but I still prefer the depth of the varnish, oil finish on walnut where the yellowness actually adds rather than detracts.

Reply to
Oughtsix