Lacquer Finishing Advice Needed

This sounds a little strange (even to me) but here goes.
I have a fireplace mantel that is coated with a pigmented lacquer. I have constructed a surround that I now need to match. I have a enough lacquer for a couple of coats, so I think the base needs to be tinted toward the finish coat cover.
So... the idea is to put down a base coat of latex enamel in the same color as the top coat. The question is, will this work? Is there any nasty interaction between the lacquer and the latex enamel?
I really would like to avoid refinishing the mantel, and getting a new batch of lacquer is ikely to be fruitless. I am no good at matching colors, and neither are the local paint stores.
Any thoughts / ideas ?
Thanks.
dak wrote:

dewaxed shellac works well as a barrier between unfriendly coatings.
Dave
dak wrote:

It will probably eat it unless you use a shellac barrier coat as David suggested.
I have sprayed Deft Brushing Lacquer (even though it says not to) on top of both water-based stains (which are basically latex) and latex paint with good results. Can't attest to other brands of lacquer. I'd suggest doing a test on a scrap. Good Luck
Will