Labeling Shop Cabinets?

Page 2 of 3
On Fri, 16 Sep 2011 15:01:09 +0000 (UTC), HerHusband

That'll work. Or try inlaying pieces of whiteboard so you can mark your bins and easily erase it. I like your magnetic idea, though.
-- Self-development is a higher duty than self-sacrifice. -- Elizabeth Cady Stanton
On 9/16/2011 10:01 AM, HerHusband wrote:

A picture is worth a thousand words/labels. Take a picture of the contents, print it, and hang it on the door.
Also helps "her" remember exactly where thing go when she is done. ;~)
HerHusband wrote:

If you are into magnetism, you can buy a pack of "magnetic printer paper" at the office supply place. This stuff is about as thick as a business card or maybe a little thicker. It was apparently designed to print pictures on to have an instant refrigerator picture. My son sent me some and my wife loves it. But you would have to use an inkjet of some sort instead of a laser-jet.
--
Gerald Ross
Cochran, GA
On 9/16/11 3:13 PM, Gerald Ross wrote:

Ooooo, off to OfficeMax.
--

-MIKE-

The business card magnets are basically the same stuff, just cut to the size of business cards with adhesive on one side. I print my label on a sheet of paper (laser or inkjet works fine), then peel the strip off the magnet and stick my paper to it. Cut to size and I have a perfectly sized magnetic label.
I prefer printing with the laser as the inkjet labels tend to run if my fingers are wet (I ditched the inkjet a few years ago anyway).
Thanks,
Anthony
I've actually used tape-and-Sharpie a lot (the frosty tape is easiest to remove), but for a visible label it's hard to beat laserprinted black on white paper, then stick it up with double-sticky tape. Or cover with a strip of clear packaging tape (beware this may harm paint and age badly).
If you can laser-print onto card stock, so much the better.
Label each cabinet with letter or number or give the cabinet a name.
Then create a text document on your computer with an appropriately sizes font.
Then list the contents of the cabinet, one page per cabinet. To get real fancy, create a table with a row for each shelf in the cabinet and list the contents of this shelf. As someone else suggested take a photo of the interior and include on the page.
Print the page and tape it to the door of the cabinet.
Then when you move things around it will be a simple matter to edit the appropriate pages with the changes.
Marty
On 9/16/2011 11:01 AM, HerHusband wrote:

--
Thanks<br>

Marty Kovacs<br>
HerHusband wrote:

Address labels (33 to a sheet) with removable adhesive. These are often used as price labels for books and the like (that may be given as a gift).
You'll probably have to order them. Staples et al have the same labels with permanent adhesive, but your best bet is the removable type. You CAN remove permanent labels if you know the secret: Heat gun or Rubber Cement Thinner (shhh! don't tell anyone)
We do have uses for the permanent labels. Our bookkeeper has about 150 file folders for each year. Once put into MS Word, all I have to do is a global replace on the date (2011 => 2012) and she has a new set.

Hmm... That might be an idea worth looking into.
I do wonder how well they would hold up over time though (would the adhesive become "permanent" after a few years stuck to the cabinet?).
Thanks for the suggestion!
Anthony
On Sat, 17 Sep 2011 00:15:18 +0000 (UTC), HerHusband

They work well enough and they're cheap. I use them on my small parts cabinets. If you're just writing on them with a pen, then it fades over a few years. I'd suggest printing on them with bolded text and use a labelling program from one of the popular word processors. Either that or a marker of some type.
HerHusband wrote:

If the label gets too aggressive, slap another label atop it.
In typed:

I use my color laser printer and whatever label size looks decent for the application. Easy to read from a distance too. I don't care for magnetics because I tend to "bounce" things too hard and a lot of them aren't metal drawers, slides, etc..
HTH,
Twayne`
typed:

I use a Brother P touch labeler. It never leaves the shop. http://tinyurl.com/3gbgzvs
Max

I have a color laser also, but regular black text on white labels seems to be the most readable.
As for the magnetic business cards, they have an adhesive on one side. I can use that to stick the magnet to anything non-metallic, then my magnetic label sticks to that magnet. I use this method on parts boxes that get tossed in the back of the car, slid and bumped around, etc. I have never had one of the magnetic labels fall off or shift, and yet I can easily take it off if needed.
Anthony

Google magnetic paint.. I found some at Home Depot. Mask a spot on the drawers and use the paint. Then your magnetic card will stick to it. WW

You may be able to make your own removable card holders without too much difficulty. There will be 3 pieces, each with a small rabbet in one corner. There will be two side pieces and one bottom piece, which will allow you to make the rabbet in one go at the TS or jointer.
Glue to the draw front and add a couple brads until the glue dries.
Were I doing this, I would make the rabbet first then cut and plane the pieces to size and finally cut to length. If you want to get fancy, you can miter the corners or do some other interesting corner treatment.
Puckdropper

Not tat tis is a great solution for you, but one I tried and liked for boxes that hold individual tools.
I build the box, place the tool inside, ten take a picture of it all nice and nestled where I want it. Then, I print the picture out and glue it to the outside of the box - coat with sealer. Never have to guess what's in it then!

That would take me, oh, about two months to do. :/ Building the boxes...another four.
Hoosierpopi wrote the following:

Most of the fun of finding a tool is pulling out each drawer to see what's inside. One of the mysteries of life is looking for a tool unsuccessfully one time, then when looking for another tool another time, finding the one you couldn't find the last time.
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

There's an alternate universe into which such things disappear and from which they reappear. It's a vagary of quantum fluctuation which physicists have never been able to characterize.