Labeling Shop Cabinets?

Page 1 of 3
I have quite a few cabinets in my garage shop, and have recently been adding more (all made of wood). While I love the organization and keeping dust out of things, it is often difficult to remember what is stored in every cabinet and drawer in my shop. Especially if my wife needs to go get something in the shop and has to look through every cabinet to find it.
So, I am looking at options for adding labels to the cabinets and drawers so I can identify the contents. Obviously, I need an option that I can change easily as I reorganize from time to time. I also want to be able to print the labels on my laser printer, as my penmanship is horrible. :)
I could always go with the traditional screw on metal holders that you slip the name cards into. But, they're fairly expensive when you need a lot of them.
I have also seen plastic adhesive label holders at office supply stores. You stick them to the cabinet, then slip the label into the holder. Not too bad on cost, but not necessarily attractive either.
Another option I have used elsewhere in my shop are adhesive backed magnetic business cards. I print my labels on the laser printer, then stick them to the business card magnets. I usually make the label slightly smaller than the business cards and cut them to size with scissors. Obviously, these stick directly to metal tool cabinets. For non-metallic boxes I simply use two magnets. I stick one blank magnet to the box, then my magnetic label sticks to that magnet. I can easily move or change labels when needed.
Barring any better solution, I will probably go with my magnetic business card method, as it has worked well for me. But I thought I would see what options others are using.
Thanks,
Anthony

Blue painter's tape and a black Sharpie. It's even easier to change. Cut the pieces with a scissors - then it'll look professional. ;)

I use a Brother P-Touch label maker for many uses including the shop.

That's what I was thinking (I have the equivalent Dymo). The plastic tape comes off easily and cleanly. Paper would likely turn into a mess after some time.
On Fri, 16 Sep 2011 11:08:51 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz wrote:

I've found the Dymo labels also come off over time. At least they do on those small plastic drawers for small parts.

On Sat, 24 Sep 2011 23:23:17 +0000 (UTC), Larry Blanchard

Are you thinking of the two-color plastic "Dymo" embossed labels or printed labels? I've never had the printed labels come off unintentionally. The older embossed labels have quite a curl to them and can release over time.

That is my experience too.
Brother also offer a range of "extra strong adhesive" tapes for their printers, though I've never found that necessary.
--
Stuart Winsor

On Sat, 24 Sep 2011 18:32:03 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz wrote:

Yes, the embossed ones. I wasn't aware that Dymo made printed ones. I'll have to look them up.

On 9/25/2011 1:41 PM, Larry Blanchard wrote:

one of the chain office supply stores a couple years ago.
http://www.brother-usa.com/Ptouch/ModelDetail.aspx?ProductID=PT70
Lightweight, easy to use, the batteries seem to last forever. Even the "starter" tape cartridge lasted long enough to make seemingly hundreds of labels. And the labels are durable, too: labels on a couple of 2-quart pitchers are still firmly attached despite dozens of trips through the dishwasher. The type will fade away before the labels begin to peel off.
"Doug Miller" wrote in message wrote:

one of the chain office supply stores a couple years ago.
http://www.brother-usa.com/Ptouch/ModelDetail.aspx?ProductID=PT70
Lightweight, easy to use, the batteries seem to last forever. Even the "starter" tape cartridge lasted long enough to make seemingly hundreds of labels. And the labels are durable, too: labels on a couple of 2-quart pitchers are still firmly attached despite dozens of trips through the dishwasher. The type will fade away before the labels begin to peel off.
================= We have used Brother's P-Touch labellers for years with the "laminated" labels on outside equipment and have not noticed any fade over the last 14 years on more than 100,000 units. Barcodes and numbers are still like the day they were printed. The labels are mostly under glass or polycarbonate protectors, helping with the UV protection. Some are not and still seem to be fine.
The tapes are expensive though. Laminated ones run about $1 per foot. Less with some commercial discounting.
--
Eric

On Sun, 25 Sep 2011 14:20:22 -0400, Doug Miller

I have a similar Dymo. I've replaced the batteries once in four years (maybe six months ago). Three+ years isn't bad for battery shelf life.

Same here, brilliant bit of kit
--
Stuart Winsor

wrote:*trim*

If you use those crafty scissors that do patterns, it'll look like it has a "woman's touch." ;-)
I'm a tape and sharpie guy myself. The magnet idea does sound neat, and you can use anything iron or steel to attach the magnet to instead of another magnet. Screw heads, washers, or even sheet steel cut to size should work.
If you want to get fancy, recess the steel and then cover the drawer with a thin veneer. As long as the magnet's strong enough, it'll look like it's stuck to the wood.
Puckdropper
> Puckdropper wrote:

This place looks promising:
http://www.magnatag.com /
--
Jack

"ONLY" $800 for a giant weekly calendar. <thud> After that, I didn't have the heart to search for magnetic tags.
-- A sound mind in a sound body is a short but full description of a happy state in this world. -- John Locke
Larry Jaques has brought this to us :

While I accept I am ouside their target market(Australia). Any business that requires a LogIn for just a look see is not really wanting any customers.
--
John G.

On 9/18/2011 7:20 PM, John G wrote:

Jack wrote:

I didn't log on and I got a "look see" and a price of around 50 cents a label. I didn't realize they were in Australia however, but then I don't have a clue where the guy asking lives either. They could be neighbors:-)
--
Jack
On 9/18/2011 2:30 PM, Larry Jaques wrote:

I didn't look at prices, but he was looking for magnetic write on tags, not a giant calendar. Now you made me spend 10 seconds and go back and look, and Magnetic write on tags he would be interested in are around 50 cents each.
You could buy 1600 of them for $800.
--
Jack

Your GoogleFu is strong on that site. I couldn't find those at all. The sticker shock couldn't have helped, though.
-- Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed is more important than any one thing. -- Abraham Lincoln
RicodJour wrote:

I'd forego the tape. By the time he wants to reorganize it will be time to paint again anyway.
That's assuming he is like me and opens cabinets when fingers are icky with glue/paint/epoxy/etc :)
--

dadiOH