Kudos to Lee Valley (Calgary)

I'm an ever-present lurker, rare poster. Just wanted to send kudos to Robin Lee and the changes made at Lee Valley Calgary. The new computer-based ordering system is excellent!

- No more leafing through catalogs (although that has its own particular pleasure, it's something best left for dreaming / planning time at home)

- The screen interface is almost exactly the same as the Lee Valley website - instant familiarity.

- No more mis-written or mis-read orders in smudged pencil

- Printed orders are crisp, clear, and in large print format.

- A final visual check (from the picture on the screen) that what you have ordered is the right tool for the job.

- A privacy mat. Step off the mat, away from the computer, and the system logs you out. It means no-one is getting my personal information or somehow ordering on my dime.

All told, I'm very impressed. I'm not sure if the system is being used at the other stores, but thought I'd share my experience.

I've also heard that central office is considering a bike rack for outside the store, a move I'd strongly encourage - the more people we can get to use non-gasoline powered transportation, the better.

With thanks,

Dudley Storey

Reply to
Demosthenes

It's here in Saskatoon. I don't recall if Robin said it was everywhere yet or not.

djb

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

snip

I've got an LV store in my city, only a 20 min drive from me. I just order over the phone and it's at my door in less than 3 days.

Reply to
Battleax

I used the same system at the Coquitlam, BC store last week. Quite handy, though with only one station in the store, it will likely be unavailable during busy times due to constant use.

Reply to
Rob Fargher

Hi -

Thanks for the comments - we have rolled it out in all stores by now....

Security mats were backordered for awhile - so most stores only had 1 station initially - all should have 4-8 by now...

It's our plan (in the new year) to expose store inventories to the main website - so you can see what's in stock at a store (and order it, if you like) - before going there....but still have a few procedures to work out there...

We have a really good group in the IT area....!

Cheers -

Rob

Reply to
Robin Lee

Problem: I normally fill out my order at home as I am browsing the catalogues then go to the store. Hope I don't then have to go through the whole procedure again just to enter it in the stores computer. I also sometimes add items as I walk around the store, the computer process will take that away.

Reply to
EXT

Robin, I just want to publically say that your website is one of the best corporate sites I've used. It's fast, easy to use, with a minimum of excess fluff. Your web guys are earning their pay.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Friesen

Hi -

If you're logged in (registered) at home - and log-in register in the store when you come in - we retreive your cart/wishlist locally (wiping it locally, when you step off the mat)...and you can still write on the printed sales slip too....

Use of the order stations isn't (and won't ever be) mandatory.... it's just an aid for those who prefer to search/browse using the website.

We're happy to serve you anyway you want.... it's all a plot to keep you coming back.....:)

Cheers -

Rob

Reply to
Robin Lee

"Robin Lee" wrote in news:WvNaf.14128$ snipped-for-privacy@news20.bellglobal.com:

Heh. No problem there.

Saw your both at the PDX WW show. It was nice to get to see some tools in person that I'd only been to look at via catalog or web. (Nice booth, and your staff were very friendly)

I can only imagine how much of my money you would be raking in if you had a store closer than Vancouver.

BTW ... there were a *lot* of folks at the show toting around LV sacks.

Reply to
John Thomas

At the risk of offending 1/2 the group, I've gotta list a couple of (very minor) gripes. The first is that it would be nice if there were a search edit field right on the front page, or even as part of the navigation stuff down the left hand side.

Secondly, adding an item to a wishlist (or even the shopping cart) seems like it has too many steps, though I do like that it happens in a pop-up window. Maybe this is related to Amazon's patent?

Lastly, any plans for a store in or around NH :) ? Slim picking around here since Woodworker's Warehouse went out of business.

-John in NH

Reply to
John Girouard

Rob,

We have a considerable Canadian population that lives here in Florida. Both retired year-round residents and 'snowbirds.' (snowbirds travel South in the winter and return home in the spring; but you knew that.)

If you opened a Lee Valley store here in Jacksonville, Florida, you could serve many of your friends that grace our fair city.

Another benefit of a Florida store could enhance your employee incentives. I'm sure you, like many employers, give performance rewards of some sort for exceptional or extraordinary customer service. You could add a new 'working award' to your list. An expense paid winter tour working in a Florida store. This award would appeal to all employees; all except the most ardent skier or snowmobiler.

Note: This sort of musing happens everytime I open your catalog. Well, back to the gar-shop.

John Flatley

-- I've never learned anything from someone who agreed with me.

Reply to
John Flatley

Not quite Chris, his web guys are earning OUR pay!

Reply to
Groggy

It is an execellent site, but John's right. You should not have to throw something in the cart to get it onto your wishlist.

Reply to
C & S

I second the need to move the search from a three step process to a box on the main page when you bring it up.

Also you need an add to wishlist on the buy it page instead of always having to move it later...

Alan

Reply to
arw01

The "item search" thing is on the nav bar. That said, it might be faster if you could actually enter the search term right on the front page though. Alternately, you could just bookmark the search page...

If you have an "add to cart" button that doesn't pop up a window, how would you specify more than one of an item? I suppose you could either have a second button that would give the popup window, or else just defer specifying the quantity at the end.

I also like the idea of being able to add something to the wishlist separately from the cart.

The only problem I see is that you might end up with too many buttons beside each item (add to cart, add multiple to cart, add to wishlist, add multiple to wishlist). Not sure how to solve that issue.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Friesen

Whoops... my bad. I was typing from memory. To clarify, adding an item to your cart works just fine right now, though I'd suggest putting a default quantity of '1' in the pop-up window.

-John in NH

Reply to
John Girouard