Kreg screws

I have a good assortment of the 1.25 inch Kreg screws in both coarse and fine thread. I'm affixing a 1 by 2 support piece to 1.75 thick cherry and would like to get a stronger bite. Plenty of depth for 1.5 or 1.625 length screws, but I am having difficulty finding them in fine thread. What's the downside of using coarse thread in hardwood?
Larry
On 11/26/2012 10:15 PM, Gramp's shop wrote:

thread. I'm affixing a 1 by 2 support piece to 1.75 thick cherry and would like to get a stronger bite. Plenty of depth for 1.5 or 1.625 length screws, but I am having difficulty finding them in fine thread. What's the downside of using coarse thread in hardwood?

The down side would be splitting the wood.
On 11/26/2012 11:15 PM, Gramp's shop wrote:

thread. I'm affixing a 1 by 2 support piece to 1.75 thick cherry and would like to get a stronger bite. Plenty of depth for 1.5 or 1.625 length screws, but I am having difficulty finding them in fine thread. What's the downside of using coarse thread in hardwood?

http://www.hardwaresales.com/kreg-sml-f150-1000-1-5-pocket-hole-screw-1000ct.html
On Tuesday, November 27, 2012 8:08:32 AM UTC-6, Greg Guarino wrote:

Thanks ... I need 8, not 1,000.
On 11/27/2012 9:31 AM, Gramp's shop wrote:

fine thread. I'm affixing a 1 by 2 support piece to 1.75 thick cherry and would like to get a stronger bite. Plenty of depth for 1.5 or 1.625 length screws, but I am having difficulty finding them in fine thread. What's the downside of using coarse thread in hardwood?

To that I can only say that I ordered 2000 Kreg screws all told - three different sizes and styles - and remarked here that that was "more than I'd ever need". Several people chuckled, even knowing that I'm an occasional weekend "woodworker" at best. In a couple of months I've gone through over 100. They're pretty handy, even in non-pocket applications. And it looks like that style and size may be hard to find.
On 11/27/2012 9:11 AM, Greg Guarino wrote:

I have probably purchased 5 times that many over the years and will agree that you can't have too many, so to speak. I probably use pocket hole screws for other uses 80% of the time. The Kreg pocket hole screws are superior screws that meet many more needs than just being used in pocket holes.
On 11/27/2012 9:20 AM, Leon wrote:

+1
--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net

fine thread. I'm affixing a 1 by 2 support piece to 1.75 thick cherry and would like to get a stronger bite. Plenty of depth for 1.5 or 1.625 length screws, but I am having difficulty finding them in fine thread. What's the downside of using coarse thread in hardwood?

<g> If they're the same type 17 tips, you probably won't have aproblem with splitting the wood. I'd sure want to use a screw lube on them, though.
-- Good ideas alter the power balance in relationships, that is why good ideas are always initially resisted. Good ideas come with a heavy burden. Which is why so few people have them. So few people can handle it. -- Hugh Macleod
On 11/27/2012 9:31 AM, Gramp's shop wrote:

fine thread. I'm affixing a 1 by 2 support piece to 1.75 thick cherry and would like to get a stronger bite. Plenty of depth for 1.5 or 1.625 length screws, but I am having difficulty finding them in fine thread. What's the downside of using coarse thread in hardwood?

http://www.mcfeelys.com/product/0714-KWF/7-x-1-12-Kregreg-Pocket-Hole-Screws-Clear-Zinc-Plated-Steel-Washer-Head-Square-Drive

A weaker bite.
--
I used to like fishing because I thought it had some larger significance. Now I
like fishing because its the one thing I can think of that probably doesnt.
On 11/26/2012 10:15 PM, Gramp's shop wrote:

thread. I'm affixing a 1 by 2 support piece to 1.75 thick cherry and would like to get a stronger bite. Plenty of depth for 1.5 or 1.625 length screws, but I am having difficulty finding them in fine thread. What's the downside of using coarse thread in hardwood?

Here you go, fine thread Kreg pocket hole screw in box of 100. $4.99. 5 cents each.
http://www.mcfeelys.com/product/0714-KWF/7-x-1-12-Kregreg-Pocket-Hole-Screws-Clear-Zinc-Plated-Steel-Washer-Head-Square-Drive
On 11/26/2012 11:15 PM, Gramp's shop wrote:

thread. I'm affixing a 1 by 2 support piece to 1.75 thick cherry and would like to get a stronger bite. Plenty of depth for 1.5 or 1.625 length screws, but I am having difficulty finding them in fine thread. What's the downside of using coarse thread in hardwood?

Lube them with wax and nothing. Don't and they might not make it in. Although most cherry is not that hard, not like maple.
fine thread is a staple for Kreg...
On 11/27/2012 2:20 PM, tiredofspam wrote:

Actually Kreg fine thread screws only go up to 1.5". To go longer you have to go with a coarse thread, longer coarse threaded screws are more for the softer thicker construction grade materials.