Kreg pocket holes not drilling cleanly

Page 1 of 4
I'm a Kreg novice. I've now used the system for 2 projects and a couple of small utility shelves. It's very convenient. But the holes, especially in solid wood, don't drill cleanly. Specifically, the left-hand edge of each hole (that's the side that the drill bit cutting edge would be "emerging" from, as opposed to the side that the bit edge would enter the wood) comes out raggedy-looking. Here's a photo, which is not terribly detailed:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/gdguarino/7815429234/sizes/h/in/photostream /
I cleaned them up a bit with a utility knife before I took the photo. They end up with thin "fingers" of wood over the hole at the left edge. If I ever use pocket hole s even inside a cabinet, I'd like them to be a little neater.
These holes aren't going to show; this is a "frame" to hide the ugly plaster hole left by the guys who put a through-the-wall air conditioner in my Mom's house. In this case, the wood is maple. But it did the same sort of thing in pine. I think I used a cordless drill this time, but used a corded one (higher rpm, I think) with similar results on the last project.
I will add the tally on this bit is only maybe 100 holes. Any ideas?

That happens to me occasionally too. The jig is supposed to fit tightly to the wood and provide a backer to minimize this. However, when I get careless and leave a bit of sawdust between the jig & the wood I get what you describe. If you don't clamp the jig tightly enough or if the jig is worn you would likely get it too. Art
On 8/20/2012 4:22 PM, Artemus wrote:

Sawdust, huh? That could be. I use their "vise-grip" style clamp, and I clamp it pretty hard, but I may not blow out the dust completely, especially between adjacent holes. I'll give that a try. Thanks.
On 8/20/2012 2:24 PM, Greg Guarino wrote:

The grain of the wood is most likely what is causing the problem ...
--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010

Are you drilling the complete hole in one pass? Are you going part way in and then pulling the bit back out to clear the debris and then continuing the drilling? If you are drilling the complete hole in one pass without clearing the debris that could be part of the problem... especially in hard wood.
Are you sure your fixture is securely clamped to the work? If not that could be contributing to the problem too.
If it isn't either one of those situations it's gotta be gremlins.

That's how I do it. It doesn't really seem possible to do it in one pass.
If you are drilling the complete hole in one

Seems secure. My tendency is to err on the side of overtightening things.

That's my experience. You do need to retract and clear.
--
Woodworking and more at <http://www.woodenwabbits.com

On 8/21/12 12:00 AM, Dave Balderstone wrote:

If you set up a shop-vac on this thing, it'll take care of that. If anyone is looking to get into pocket hole joinery, spend the extra bucks on the dust collection attachments or rig something up at home. It makes all the difference in the world.
--

-MIKE-

I have the attachment, but in my experience it's ineffective, the hose attachment is badly positioned, and honestly, I don't need the additional noise. A quick swoosh with a bench brush works faster, cleaner, and quieter.
On 8/21/12 8:31 AM, Dave Balderstone wrote:

It must be a bad design, because when I simply hold my vac against the ports of the jig, it clears out most of the muck from the bit/hole.... at least enough to keep me from having to re-plunge the bit several times to make a clean hole.
I'm curious how a bench brush clear debris from the hole while drilling, allowing you to drill a clean hole in one pass? :-)
--

-MIKE-

On 8/21/2012 9:42 AM, -MIKE- wrote:

I've drilled literally thousands of pocket holes in cabinet face frames the past ten plus years, and since I started using my Festool CT22E dust extractor attached to the Kreg Jig Master system dust port a few of years back, I have not seen a speck of drill sawdust when drilling pocket screw holes ... I mean 99.99 non-existent.
BTW, although I have a spare drill bit, it remains unused. IOW, I've drilled all those holes with the same drill bit I got with my initial Kreg jig about 2000, and it still cuts as cleanly as it did on day one.
As far as the original post, and once again for the record, the grain of the wood is IME biggest part of the OP's issue with tear out on the exit side of the cutting edge of the bit ...usually most prominent when drilling into any flat sawn faces at an angle.
--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010

I have a Kreg jig setup from some 10 years ago or so. It came without a dust port. Does the dustport fit on that? Because the dust is one of the few drawbacks to the jig's proper functioning.
--
Best regards
Han

Looking at the one that came with mine, it's a square piece with a moulding for a round hose. I haven't tried it, but it looks to fit on the waste side of the jig and simply hold the hose in place while it sucks the dust away.
You could probably make one out of wood with little difficulty.
Puckdropper
--
Make it to fit, don't make it fit.

Puckdropper <puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com> wrote in

OK, I'll look into it soonish. I've been sick with whooping cough, sapping my energies at anything more tiring than typing, plus I have 2 projects going and I need to reorganize my workshop, but right after that ...
--
Best regards
Han
On 8/21/2012 2:50 PM, Han wrote:

Actually, IIRC, I gave my old Kreg Jig setup from that era to someone on the wRec ... don't even recall who I shipped it to, or if they're still posting?
The old one had the clamp on the opposite side from the user, the one I have now has the clamp handle on the user side:
https://picasaweb.google.com/111355467778981859077/EWoodShopJigsFixturesMethods#5779253468866373122
I have no idea which model it is, or if it has been superseded.
I used the old one with a regular shop vac and don't recall the dust collection being all the notable.
With the one pictured in the link above, and the Festool dust extractor, the dust collection can only be described as awesome.
I attribute most of that, rightly or wrongly, to the Festool's highly efficient suckage ...
--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010

Thanks, Karl!
--
Best regards
Han
On 8/21/2012 8:17 PM, Dave wrote:

https://groups.google.com/forum/?hl=en&fromgroups =#!topic/rec.woodworking/sTUwNubJ8R4
--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010
On 8/21/2012 9:17 PM, Dave wrote:

I bought a pair, which arrived slightly after I built the "frame" I mentioned in the OP. I haven't tried them yet, but they hang from the wall nicely in the pocket-holes I drilled in a piece of scrap wood. :)
I am curious about the quick-release mechanism, and whether it makes the threads inside less able to hold tightly. I'll try to test it when I get a chance.
On 8/21/2012 8:31 AM, Dave Balderstone wrote:

I have to say that with my Kreg PH jig hooked up to the Festool vac hardly a spec of dust gets free. You must be doing something wrong.