Kreg Pocket Hole Jigs

I'm looking at using a Kreg Pocket Hole Jig to drill pocket holes into pressure treated 2x4's so that I can attach them to 4x4 posts for a deck railing.

The K2000 Pro Pack is nice but it's more money than I want to spend. I'm looking at their Pocket Rocket or "Mini" Pocket Hole Jig.

The Pocket Rocket has an attachment that allows you to drill the hole properly into a 1-1/2 inch thick piece of wood.

My question is: Is that attachment just a spacer that positions the jig further from the end of the wood?

If that's the case could I accomplish the same thing by using the much cheaper "Mini" jig and using a wood spacer to position it the proper distance away from the end of the 2x4?

Reply to
Chuck Duchon

My question is: Is that attachment just a spacer that positions the jig

Yes However - although I consider it an excellent device and use it often for cabinet carcass construction, I don't think I would use it for your application. IMHO the sideways mechanical forces on a deck railing may be excessive for a simple butt joint and as there is a safety issue here I would be looking at other solutions. As I said - Just my humble opinion. Oz

Reply to
OzSawdust

I used the mini jig 2 years ago for cedar railing and all is as sturdy today as when I put it in.

Rusty

Reply to
Runnonmt

If you really need the tool get the Kreg w/spacer. If not you can make your own pocket jig from a block of wood.

I guess it's like a lot of things, once you own one and get familar with using it then you find more opportunities to use it in your work and the investment seems more worth while.

David

Reply to
Bannerstone

I am in the process of doing the very same thing, attaching 2*4s to

6*6 PT posts. The Kreg pocket hole jig is a great tool, but is unnecessary in my opinion. I am using LONG Torks drive screws (some are 4-5/8 some are almost 6 inches long). I start them about 3-4 inches back from the post and drill straight down just enough to get a bite with the screw. I then bend the screw down in the wood toward the top of the 2*4 away from the post until it is angled just right to pass just above the bottom of the 2*4 as it passes into the post. I put two in from the top and one in from the bottom. They are solid as a rock and easy to do. I attach the spindle assembly to the bottom of the 2*4, and also a cap to cover the screw holes in the top of the 2*4. I will see if I can take pictures tonight when I get home and show you what I am talking about. Scott
Reply to
vmtw