know of any free linux 3d cad software?

Page 1 of 2
I googled the old posts on this news group but couldnt find anything conclusive...
Is there any linux-based free 3d design software that folks here use?
Thanks, irax.

Of course not. that's one of the reasons that Normal People do not use Linux (nor any other software named after a Peanuts Character).
(Oh My, I hear the pitter pattering footsteps of the Linux Loonies in the distance. As the natives often say in other comic strips, "Ayiieeee !!")
Tom Watson wrote:

You'll love this one then, Tom:
http://www.romanpoet.org/112/switchlinux.swf
And yes, I'm a fanatical Linux zealot, just for the record. I can laugh about it. While you're at it, try:
windows-rg.swf
On Mon, 29 Sep 2003 19:59:38 -0400, Silvan

Akshully I was just having some fun. I've got an older box that I replaced a month or so ago and, once I get a cheapo monitor for it, I'm gonna have a go at this Linux stuff.
Still, when it comes to bidness apps, my heart (and wallet) belong to Bill.
On Mon, 29 Sep 2003 20:12:16 -0400, Tom Watson wrote:

Any ones in particular? Mebee I can find some functional equivalents that will spare your wallet and/or vital organs.
-Doug
On Tue, 30 Sep 2003 00:33:18 GMT, "Doug Winterburn"

I don't have a plan yet, Doug. I thought that I'd put Linux on this 233 that I have laying around, just to see what it was like.
I took a long time switching from CPM to DOS and an even longer time switching from DOS to Win 3.1.
Hell, some days I still miss CPM.
I loved that "Global Search And Destroy" command.
(although I don't miss Wordstar 1.0)
On Tue, 30 Sep 2003 15:09:47 -0400, Tom Watson wrote:

Have a care, though, Tom - lots of recent Linux distributions need more power that that if you're going to use the pretty desktops 'n' stuff. If you're fixin' to take a mem'ry trip down Command Line Lane, you may do fine, depending on how many roses you plan to sniff along the way. (I've got an old 400MHz laptop with 192MB of RAM that's pretty pokey if I'm using much of anything in the Red Hat 9 GUI.)

Several drug companies have products to assist with this problem. I'm told one doesn't even miss one's libido.

Now, didja have to go there? I just pulled some old files off some disks my dad had lying around - he could no longer access them due to media size (5.25" disks) and file format (WordStar). Believe it or not, you can still get an import filter for Microsoft Word that'll import WordStar files. OpenOffice, unfortunately, does not seem to have the same functionality (though I thought I recalled seeing that in StarOffice 5.x).
Woodworking-related content - I gave Dad the converted files, and he gave me my grandfather's Stanley Sweetheart plane. Wish I had more files to convert!
Tom Watson wrote:

Thankfully, I didn't have to suffer through the early versions of Windows; I went from DOS to OS/2 and stayed there for years (I work at IBM and I still run it there, along with Linux and Win2000).

Loved it. Ever heard of "TurboDOS"? It was a CP/M workalike, and far superior Ran it in the early 80's on Z80 Televideo hardware.

I do. I still drive my VisualSlick text editor with a modified Wordstar keyboard mapping.
On Mon, 29 Sep 2003 20:12:16 -0400, Tom Watson wrote:

Akshully, you don't need no steenkin' monitor/keyboard/mouse for the older box once you get linux installed and if both boxes are networked. Just install a VNC server on the Linux box and a VNC client on yur windoze box - free of course :-)
Here's the link: http://www.realvnc.com /
-Doug
Tom Watson wrote:

Lemme know if you have trouble when you do. I don't currently subscribe to the Linux groups because... Well, I guess I just *use* the damn stuff, and I got tired of *talking* about it all the time.
Anyway, I'd be happy to help you through any trouble spots, and my e-mail address works.
Think of it as payback for all those touching stories. :)
On Mon, 29 Sep 2003 16:06:17 -0500, Iraxl Enb wrote:

Not 3D, but free and works for me:
http://www.ribbonsoft.com/qcad.html
-Doug
Doug Winterburn spaketh...

Not free either
--
McQualude

On Tue, 30 Sep 2003 03:00:24 +0000, McQualude wrote:

I picked up the RedHat RPM at:
http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/qcad/qcad-1.5.4-3.redhat.i386.rpm
-Doug
On Tue, 30 Sep 2003 03:14:46 +0000, Doug Winterburn wrote:

I just compiled 2.0 from source. It was pretty easy to compile and it seems to be a big improvement over 1.5 from what I've seen so far.
--
Joe Wells

On Mon, 29 Sep 2003 23:06:12 -0500, Joe Wells wrote:

Thanks, Joe. I'll give it a shot.
-Doug
Doug Winterburn spaketh...

I'll take your word for it, but here is the text from their website:
Windows qcad_2_0_0_8_demo_win32.zip (6MB) QCad binary for 32bit Windows. All libraries are statically linked in. No Qt required. Demo version - terminates after 10min. The Professional version is available for a small license fee from here.
Doesn't sound free to me.
[update: ok, I see, the source code is GPL'd, but the binaries require a license fee. I emailed them for clarification on this]
--
McQualude

On Mon, 29 Sep 2003 16:06:17 -0500, Iraxl Enb wrote:

...or maybe you can find something here:
http://www.tech-edv.co.at/lunix/CADlinks.html
-Doug
Irax,
You might have better luck looking in some of the alt.linux newsgroups, or alt.os.linux etc.. but I do have a couple of URLs to linux software map pages from when I used to work with Unix at Lucent Tech. in the Bell Laboratories unit:
http://www.boutell.com/lsm / http://www.ibiblio.org /
Good luck
Iraxl Enb wrote:

--

Bob Kuphal -- Wisconsin

Remove DontSpam to email
Glad you made it out in one piece!
Thanks for the links.
irax.
Bob Kuphal wrote:

Ya, me too, took the early retirement in 2001, I was going to retire the next year anyway..... We just had to rush selling the house and moving to the retirement place a little faster than expected...
Iraxl Enb wrote:

--

Bob Kuphal -- Wisconsin

Remove DontSpam to email