Knots in wood

A few years ago we had to have builders in to do some jobs in the house. We have now found that some of the wood they have used was not treated and that brown rings, probably from knots in the wood are showing through the paint.

Please can anyone advise how to get without these?

Many thanks

John

Reply to
John

Put a coat of shellac over the knots and then paint.

Reply to
efgh

Use the product Kilz. It is a white primer. My experience with Kilz is to apply two coats of Kilz (drying between coats) over areas with knots.

Reply to
Frank Arthur

Does this primer come with shellac in it? If it is, I've used a similar product and have had the knots still bleed through after year even with two coats on the knots.

Reply to
efgh

As already posted, a coat of shellac.

Why do you think the wood should have been treated and what do you mean by treated?

RicodJour

An old method for stubborn knots is to paint them with aluminum paint, the type with aluminum particles in it, the aluminum blocks the resin and stain from pushing through the paint. Of course, aluminum paint being dark may have its own issues about covering it.

Ultimate would be to use both methods, the aluminum paint covered with a couple of coats of shellac or KILZ.

Reply to
EXT

Shellac has been the solution for years because it is not dissolved by the nonpolar chemicals which compose the resin, but with a (semi) polar solvent. The film doesn't soften, or as is the case with latex, lift. You want to get some pounds in the cut, though. Perforated films allow seep and lift.

Reply to
George

Many thanks all of you for the help

John