Kity 637 Planer Thicknesser Help please????

Hello, I have recently purchased one of these machines. I have 2 questions.

Firstly, does anybody know what is the minimum thickness of wood that can be fed into the thicknesser part of the machine? I am thicknessing a 250mm (10") Oak board down to 10mm (13/32"), cor it took me some time to work that out?????? (actually I went right up to 101/256, but as you will agree that's just silly) My problem is, I could not feed the board in with the depth set to 10mm, it passed through OK at 11mm, but at

10mm there seems as though there is something stopping it.

Secondly, I have reset the planer blades sucessfully, after much messing around to get them as perfect as possible, but have noticed that the infeed table is not flat. When I put a straight edge accross the outfeed table and set the height of the infeed table so my straight edge is in contact with the beginning end of the infeed table, the inner end of the infeed table is not in contact, it drops down by 1mm (1/32"). Basically I am asking, is this right? Should the tables not all be flat? I can shim the guides that the infeed table run on to bring it up in-line.

Please help. Thanks in anticipation for your reply.......M4ttyB

Reply to
M4ttyB

No. But any thicknesser should prevent you from winding the table up to zero and planing through the steel bed.(?!) If you want to thickness thin you may need to do so by putting a piece of something like MFC on the thicknesser bed. You might be able to clamp it in place, or just hold onto it or wax one side only to stop it from being fed through with the workpiece.

[...]>

You are correct, it is not right. In that position the tables should be in the same plane with no angle between them, and the blades coming just proud of the tables. I am not familiar with this Kitty machine but shim away if there is no obvious adjustment.

while you are setting it up:- check the spring pressure on the infeed and outfeed rollers, It should be the same left and right, and the pressure enough to hold the piece down but not to cause unecessary friction. Grease the rise and fall threads on the thicknesser table, make sure the anti-kickback thingys are loose and functioning, and be very afraid of that blade.

Tim w

Reply to
Tim W

Hi Tim, thank you for your reply. I see what you are saying about the thicknessing capacity and maybe I could use some sort of sled to run my pieces through? I will double check that there is no adjustment for the infeed table and shim up as necessary. Thanks for the further advice, it's always good to hear from experienced woodworkers. Cheers Matthew.

Reply to
M4ttyB