Kitchen Table Plans Please

I am looking for plans for a very large, simple kitchen table. I am no carpenter so simpler the better for me please. I need something like a

10 seater and for the top I would like to use (if practical) two lengths of IKEA kitchen worktop (the one which is made up of lengths of pine, all glued together) side by side. This would then match my kitchen worktops. Any help would be appreciated, thanking you in advance.
Reply to
Mr Mark

Do some research and you may find that trestle and pedestal designs will generally seat more folks for their size due to the legs being mostly out of the way. I recently designed and built a 70" X 42" Mission style trestle table that seats 8 fairly comfortably. It would be easy to increase the size of the top to accommodate two more. Although I had no plans, there is a simple shop drawing of sorts, and photo's of most of the process ... you are most welcome to use what you can. Project Journal, page 5 on the site below.

Reply to
Swingman

Hi I could send you a few Kitchen table plans. Don't know if they are what your after, but it may give you ideas on how to build what you want.

email me Cheers Mark snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com

Reply to
Mark

That is a great looking table. And, I have always liked the LOOK of trestle tables, in general. My problem is that, with my long legs and big feet, and sitting at the end, I can't pull all the way up to the table. That being said, it seems from the photos that you have a bit more overhang at the ends than I have seen before. Did you do that on purpose? I also wonder how much of an overhang might work yet still be stable. I suppose at some point the trestle becomes a pedastal and loses the trestle concept. Another idea is to make the feet of the trestle smaller and make the cutout between the feet higher. But their proportions look good the way you did them. Any suggestions? Maybe I'll just have to go w/ 4 legs. Thanks. -- Igor

Reply to
igor

Thank you.

Yep ... I wanted to be able to sit at the head of the table without kicking the trestle and designed the table to accomplish that by actually setting up a horizintal surface (table top) and vertical board (tresle) in front of a chair to measure what was comfortable for me (I am 6' tall).

I was actually surprised by how little overhang was necessary to accomplish fair leg comfort ... IIRC, the overhang on this table is only 12", but could easily be kicked up another 4" - 6" without upsetting the design.

I've had no stability problems and I am certain that you can safely add more overhang without problem. I've seen tables with as much as an 18" overhang that looked good and should give just about anyone ample leg room. From my limited experiments, I would say that 14" would likely be a comfortable design target overhang if your top is long enough.

Of course, the factor for a pleasing appearance with the trestles would be designing the overhang in proportion to the total length of the top, and that should be easy to calculate from known examples that look good to you.

Reply to
Swingman

The is a lot of flexibility in the design of a trestle table. Mine is

40" X 60". there is a 12" inset to the legs at each end. Also, a leaf can be added near each end so the inset to the legs would be 24". We have used the table for 25 years and still enjoy it.

Dick

Reply to
Richard Cline

Well, my eye is usually not that good. BTW, I'm almost 6'4".

Must be the feet. It seems that I need 22" table overhang. Now, if my toes could fit under the trestle legs ...

I think for my kitchen, where I need a 60" table or so, I may just have to do a pedastal. For the dining room, where I want about 92", the trestle could work. I'm still thinking, though, that the trestle table always has been a "bottom heavy" table (I mean that in a good way - solid) and the overhang I need may just not work for that style table. At least I have a basic 3D program so I can play around with it w/o creating scraps. In my DR, the only real view of the table will be from the side, so making a higher cutout btw the trestle's feet could help provide toe room w/o too much of an aesthetic change - at least that is visible.

Again, thanks for the insights -- and the website images, etc. I think your site is great. And that is true of many rec members' sites. Good, inspiring substance. And, while (w/ a few exceptions), not pro-level-looking web design, they are really effective and easy to navigate -- which is more than can be said about many of the pro-designed sites I've seen across the web. That so many people here take the time to do websites is very helpful and appreciated. -- Igor

Reply to
igor

Could also be that the older I get the increased belly "overhang" pushes the chair farther away from the table edge, mitigating the need for more table overhang. :)

Good luck with your design... and thanks for the kind words.

Reply to
Swingman

Hmmm? Maybe if I just wait a few more years I can "achieve" that same organic mitigation. Overhang1 + Overhang2 = X" I'll think about that over an afternoon snack.

Reply to
igor