Kitchen musings..... shelving vs. cabinets, notions of design....

Page 7 of 9
On Fri, 22 Feb 2013 06:52:28 -0800 (PST), Robert Macy

My wife found some wipes that work really well on stainless. They're expensive but I was amazed how well they polished the sink (I lived in the house six months before she moved - she gets the honors now ;-).

I don't have a problem with Windex but it does have to be taken off before it dries. A last swipe with a little Windex on a paper towel takes the last bit of streaks off. Watch the paper towels, though. Some of the pretty printing dissolves in Windex and makes a mess of paint. DAMHIKT.

Interesting. I'll have to try it. It does make sense.

Like I said, our appliances don't show finger prints at all. There seems to be an oleophobic coating on them (the non-contractor grade ones).
snipped-for-privacy@attt.bizz wrote:

Have you tried cleaning them properly and applying a good coat of automotive paste wax on (the non-contractor grade ones)? I use the old standard, 'Turtle Wax, hard shell pates wax' to keep things clean. I started doing that when I was selling used computers about 20 years ago. People would leave dirty spots on the ones on display, but it just took a quick wipe with a damp rag to clean most them if they were waxed.
Robert Macy wrote:

There are oodles of home-made glass cleaning formulas on the web. It's cheap enough to try them one after another 'til you find the concoction that meets your needs.
Existential Angst wrote:

Logically, open for stuff that is used with great frequency, cabinets - or a pantry - for the rest.

Undeniably, glass can be attractive. Also indeniably, it seems to be a magnet for grease, streaks, dust and assorted crud.
My own feeling re a kitchen - or any workspace - are that it should minimize the effort to use it. That means thought about where things are placed and the amount of space between them. It also means easy accessibility to the tools.
How many people will be working in it at the same time? If just one, you need about 36" minimum for aisles; 42" is better, more than 48" and you are wasting space. If more than one, I would think 60" or a bit more would be about right.
The things that are used in a particular area need to be convenient to that area; eg, pots/pans/skillets should be accesible to the stove area, not require traipsing across the kitchen to get one. Dish cabinets should be very near the sink or diswasher. I know that seems fundamental but I've seen many instances of it not being considered.
Again personally, I don't like frame and panel cabinet doors in a kitchen for the same reason I wouldn't like glass...the edges attract crud and are hard to clean. When I built ours I made full overlay, solid wood doors. The edges are rounded but no other profiles to catch dust.
Getting back to open shelves vs cabinets, I think a lot would depend upon the people involved; if they are willing to dust/clean very frequently, open shelves could be nice; if not - we are not - I would eschew them in favor of cabinets.
I'm pretty much with you on the granite but not with glass on top of something else. My only experience with same was a glass covered dining table in a rented apartment when we were living in Mexico. It was a pain...any spilled liguid wicked underneath; assorted crumbs and crud managed to find a way under.
BTW & FWIW, your posts would be more readable without the folksy spellings.
--

dadiOH
____________________________

No kidding. I couldn't get through all the cute spellings, the almost urban street slang, and ghetto speak to finish the post. Not sure what this guy wants, but it isn't interesting enough to read through all that crap.
I got this far because I saw that you and Karl responded....
Robert

No kidding. I couldn't get through all the cute spellings, the almost urban street slang, and ghetto speak to finish the post. Not sure what this guy wants, but it isn't interesting enough to read through all that crap. ================================================ Lessee..... by your own admission, you didn't get thru it all, yer too stupid to figger out "what I want", and yet somehow you know it's not inneresting enough to read..... Typical non-sequitur of the bitchily ignerint....
Oh, yeah, of course.... here ya go: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Non_sequitur_(logic) Study hard.
--
EA

I got this far because I saw that you and Karl responded....

You too?? Jeez......
--
EA

Did try to reply with some information you might be able to use, but I gave up also ... simply too hard to follow.
Skimmed it as best I could, but I have to say it was indeed hard to get to the pith of your intent.
--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net

WTF? Do you want people to respond or waste time trying to deciper what the fuck you're asking? Post your ? *clearly* without the BS and attitude. Pretty simple concept to me.
ChairMan wrote:

Near as I could figure, the question concerned: "Wall space: Shelves versus drawers". I went back to the post 3 times, and never honestly made it all the way to the end--but its time we get to the bottom of it! I restricted my reply to rec.woodworking.
Bill
Existential Angst wrote:

How arrogant.
About the only person here who needs a treatise on the elements of style is you. Oh, wait...are your cutesy spellings an attempt at a distinctive writing style? An attempt to separate yourself from the herd? To lift yourself from the depths of mediocrity? Doesn't work.
--

dadiOH
____________________________
On 2/22/2013 7:20 AM, dadiOH wrote:

I have to think he was mainly trying to draw us a picture of "Existential Angst"--not that it belongs here. That over, lets move on and waste no more.
Bill

Hmmmm...... might I be even more arrogant and correck your syntax? Elements of Style WAS the treatise -- albeit a short, succinct one.
What you SHOULD have said -- and I'm sure you meant to -- was: "About the only person here who needs a treatise on style......."

Dood...... it's fukn USENET..... give it a break, already. Dayum.... and I thought you were one of the normal ones.....
And where's the gratitude?? Moi had to PAY for that goddamm StrunknWhite.... and ahm giving it away for free....
Ackshooly, I never really agreed with ole Strunk.... yeah, shit has to be standardized, but goddamm, there's standardization and there's stifling. Fuck granite, and fuck stifling.
ANOTHER POP QUIZ, boyzngerlz.....
WHO was the White in Strunk'n'White??
No matter, y'all are going to cheat anyway, and look it up..... He was EB White, who wrote Charlotte's Web, Stuart Little, and a bunch of other children's classics, and a longtime contributor/editor in The N'Yawker. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E._B._White Proly one of THE most :"decorated" writers. No Nobel Prize, but dat dudn't mean shit anyway.... they wasted one on Hemmingway..... and even worser, one on Herman Hesse.... GOODGAWD!!!!!!!!!!
But y'all litirits KNEW that, right?? Yeah, riiiiight.....
Here's what ahm thinkin:
All those who had so much trouble deciphering the op, get copies of Stuart Little and Charlotte's Web, and work on yer comprehension...... EB White knew what he was doing, and y'all's reading comprehension should jump by at least two grades when you finish them. Proly you can find Cliff's Notes on them, as well, iffin you need help.
And WHERE did the adventures of Stuart Little take place?? Why, in the Central Park Pond, in.... N'Yawk....
OH, OH, OH, OH, OH..... He did it AGAIN!!!! He said "N'Yawk" instead of New York........ TWICE!!! OH, OH, OH, OH OH, OH, OH, OH OH, OH, OH, OH OH, OH, OH, OH
--
EA

On Fri, 22 Feb 2013 05:38:13 -0500, "Mike Marlow"

Agreed. I'd compare it to text that had irregular usage of capitals and lower case or text that was all in capitals, or text without any paragraphs. You *can* read and understand it if you take the time, but why? It's just so much easier to skip it and go onto the next message.

Your affected style might be cute if you had any real talent.

Holy shit..... ANOTHER one who I thought was normal, could read between the lines..... Ahma haveta make a LIST now.....
I didn't know reading comprehension was such an issue. Really, I promise, I'll keep it simple from now on, right outta Strunk'n'White.....
--
EA

On 2/22/2013 10:23 AM, Existential Angst wrote:

What about Fucken Wagnalls? I think we'd better quit before the the entire usenit goes postle!!

LOL I've lerntid my lesson..... I"ve got Strunk'n'White out, as I type....... LOL FunkyWagnall was far too long, tho. At least S&W kept alladatshit brief.
There is a breed -- many of them on RW, apparently -- that deludes themselves with the notion that because they express themselves with syntactical and grammatical correckness, that they know how to think. There is, in fact, a likely inverse relationship between the two.
--
EA

The teacher of my very bright and ambitious high school English class cautioned us not to write like e.e.cummings unless we WERE e.e.cummings. She reminded us that Picasso had mastered the classical painting style before developing his own.
http://www.artchive.com/artchive/p/picasso/self1.jpg
http://smarthistory.khanacademy.org/Picasso-Early-Work.html
The only exception she tolerated: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Adams_(composer)

I would have used J.M.W.Turner for the example if he were better known.