Kitchen musings..... shelving vs. cabinets, notions of design....

Page 6 of 9
On 2/24/2013 12:56 PM, Dave wrote:

I have been using a track ball IIRC since Logitech had the white simi round unit with the little blue ball that tolled wheels. That ball was operated with your right thumb. I only had one mouse prior to that which was in the 80's before a mouse was standard equipment.
I never never never could get use to the finger operated track ball. The thumb operated track ball was instantly intuitive for me 20+ years ago.
I can see how the finger tip operated track balls might be more difficult to get used to.

My number one reason is so that I don't have to move my hand all over my desk when panning a drawing or moving the cursor from one point to another in the screen.
I can orbit and pan and zoom in/out on my drawings without moving my hand or mouse.
For some people the track ball is as difficult to master as is the mouse is to me. I think the thumb track ball might be easier for you, I would go back to a mouse vs. a finger operated ball.

The Thinkpad line of laptops has a "touch point" or some other goofy name. It's the red thing in the corner of the g, h, and b keys. It mostly stays out of the way, but it's far superior to the track pads most laptops are saddled with. After a few hours of mouse-heavy activity, like Sketchup, my hand isn't aching and my finger isn't raw.
It did take a bit of getting used to, but it's worth it.
Puckdropper
--
Make it to fit, don't make it fit.

On 2/24/2013 6:56 AM, Jim Wilkins wrote:

(Amazon.com product link shortened)

How long have you had that M570?
Now that I have asked, ;~) I am going to tell you how to fix it when it quits working properly. I am on my 3rd in 2 years, Logitech has replaced 2 units without requesting a return.
My problem has been with the center click button, this center click is a big time saver in Sketchup for orbiting while panning. Anyway I could hear and feel the click but the orbit command would not engage unless I pressed even harder after hearing the click and then some times having to hold down the wheel and wiggle it. The cursor would not go from a pointer arrow to an orbit icon. A real PIA.
After getting the second replacement I decided to open up the one with the problem. Both had the same problem BTW. There are "5" screws on the bottom and inside that have to be removed to open the unit. One screw is obvious just under the ball on the bottom. 3 more screws are under the rubber pads opposite the ball and at the far long ends. The 5th screw is under the battery label at the 1.5v lettering. Poke a hole through the diagram label at that point to find the screw. Then pull the bottom half away from the top half.
Inside you have a small square switch with a round button, flood that switch with electrical cleaner and or any other switches that may be giving you trouble. Thoroughly blow dry the assembly, I used compressed air and reassembled. Works like new again.
Jim Wilkins wrote:

(Amazon.com product link shortened)

I have tried several trackballs, and none felt right. They were much harder for me to position the cursor accurately than with a decent mouse. It might be OK for newsgroups & Email with more practice but they were useless for Eagle (Circuit board layout) ot LTSpice (Circuit simulation) Forget doing graphics with GIMP or another graphics package.

I plugged it in to edit this reply. After a week my thumb dexterity is improving. I've been using the end of my thumb for coarse motion and the joint or middle pad to put the cursor between letters.
I just noticed that I can position the cursor more precisely with my clumsier left hand on this Dell Latitude's touchpad than with my right hand on either the trackball or the mouse. The touchpad resolves 9 separate cursor positions across a lower case 'w'. I'm still much quicker with the mouse though. jsw
Jim Wilkins wrote:

It may be the nerve damage in my hands, but I have given up on trackballs. A lot of mice don't work well for me, either. Touchpads drive me up the wall.:(
On Sun, 24 Feb 2013 23:48:08 -0500, "Michael A. Terrell"

I can't use them either. They'll kill my wrist. The fingers are in such an unnatural position (wrists bent backwards).
snipped-for-privacy@attt.bizz wrote:

Try using one while wearing a cockup splint.
On Mon, 25 Feb 2013 14:47:18 -0500, "Michael A. Terrell"

Precisely the point. It's an unnatural position.

Put your hands on a Logitech M570. it rests under my hand as my hand naturally would rest on the desk surface. Fingers only do the clicking as they would with a regular mouse. Your thumb moves the ball, which it rests on.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb11211/8508857898/in/photostream/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb11211/8508858624/in/photostream/

Mine are Trackman Marble Wheels
Gunner

I've tried every one. The tip of the thumb has to be above the palm to use one. That's an unnatural position for the wrist. The fingers are elevated too far, also.

Michael, I did notice the deterioration right from the start. So what's your point? Obviously, being such a cheap plastic membrane, the deterioration just kept on. I suppose I could have 'sprayed' a sealer coating over the membrane switch or RTV'd it or put that PCB gunk on it to preserve the integrity of whatever seal the manufacturer was seeking, but come on, this was a cheap microwave.
Robert Macy wrote:

Why didn't you take it back for a refund?

I have a 20+ year old JC Penny microwave oven with a membrane keyboard that don't show any wear. It would have been junked long ago, if the keypad was damaged. It's in storage at the moment because it's too tall to sit on the kitchen counter. It will be put back in the kitchen after the handicap modifications are finished. IN the meantime I've had two smaller microwaves fail. A Samsung had the controller fail, and a brand new Westinghouse failed with less than five minutes use and the power cord was so hot I couldn't touch it. A real POS. Right now I am using a stainless steel piece of junk that was dropped when it was new. I straightened the door so the latch would operate, but it's nothing to brag about. I will say that I have only bought one microwave in the last 30 years, and I paid $2 for it at a thrift store with a bad interlock switch that was repaired with a used microswitch. The rest were all picked up as junk & repaired.
On Feb 23, 3:37 pm, snipped-for-privacy@attt.bizz wrote:

Uh, say what?! How'd you get into a personal attack? Why do you consider me "...pretty dull,...."? Boring, probably, Dense, no.
Especially, not so 'dull' as to expect the $46 microwave oven to last very long. I simply was sharing my experience, reinforcing someone's tongue in cheek comment about how it is not necessary to clean the microwave surfaces because the microwave will fail first! The poster's joke was like all good humour, based in truth.
Don't know why YOU assume a leftie, member of the Republican National Committee, personally invited by Bob Dole to join the Republican Inner Circle. More details witheld because this IS a public forum regarding home repair and most importantly, this is NOT a political forum.
On Sun, 24 Feb 2013 07:21:44 -0800 (PST), Robert Macy

Dumb.

Anyone bitching about the quality of a $46 WallyWorld microwave doesn't have electricity to all floors.

...and a liar. Perhaps to himself, but a liar, nonetheless.
On Feb 24, 8:27 am, snipped-for-privacy@attt.bizz wrote:

Again for the denseness you have been displaying. Not dumb, either.
As I said, I didn't expect much from the product, but was surprised the Chinese didn't have decent plastics. Active circuitry I expected to fail, not passive housing.
With your last statement, you show your true character. You are describing yourself when you try to call me a liar. Upon rereading my last paragraph, perhaps I am lying to myself that this is not a political forum. Other statements are true.
Also, end of this discussion.
On Sun, 24 Feb 2013 10:25:42 -0800 (PST), Robert Macy

Unfortunately, sooner or later, most any discussion here turns into a rant, rave or complaint. Just human nature I guess. Don't know if that means you're lying to yourself or not, but there you are.
On Sun, 24 Feb 2013 10:25:42 -0800 (PST), Robert Macy

You must be looking in a mirror again.

For $46? Retail? You are nuts!

You certainly are.

For $46, I expected the magnetron to fail
Come on. No sharp finger nails, just finger pads.