Kitchen musings..... shelving vs. cabinets, notions of design....

Page 2 of 9
DerbyDad03 wrote:

When was that? There were stickers on TV chassis in the '60s to declare the percentage of the set was made in the US. Every 'American' brand had some imported parts. The worst were Mexican made inductors. they used a high acid flux and didn't clean the joints, so when a set was three years old in the Ohio valley the wire would finally corrode all the way through. Even the early Japanese electronics was better quality.

The section on "computer equipment" was real interesting.
If we blockade China for fooling (I've used "fuck" too many times today) with our networks, we won't have diddly-squat to make stuff with. Wonder what that would do for employment.
On 2/22/2013 12:53 PM, Norminn wrote:

It's a shame that so many government policies have run manufacturers out of the country. I mentioned to someone else that people vote with their feet and corporations and manufacturers vote with their moving vans. O_o
TDD
On Fri, 22 Feb 2013 14:07:51 -0600, The Daring Dufas

Lefties will never understand that. They don't even want to consider the consequences of their actions. It's too hard.

I read a post somewhere I think it was our Texan friend HB about an insurance company buying up a lot of property in Texas because it's a lot more of a business friendly state and the company may move there. ^_^
TDD
clipped

People do vote with their feet, stampeding past the mom and pop store to Walmart.
On 2/22/2013 6:30 PM, Norminn wrote:

I do a lot of work in Walmart stores, you'd be amazed at the amount of technology in retail stores these days. Last week me and JH were on an electric man lift working on the 42" video advertising displays at one of the Walmart Supercenter store's entrances. Besides, I like to watch the people who wander around in there. Last week we had an old fellow who was an army veteran on an electric cart roll up to where we were working and start telling us about his job at the arsenal repair depot were he retired from and worked on main battle tanks like the M60 and M1A1. I'll always spend some time talking to the elderly when I can and have the time. Heck, if I survive to get that old, I hope someone will take the time to speak to me. ^_^
TDD
The Daring Dufas wrote:

Do you vist: http://www.peopleofwalmart.com

I haven't been to that site before but there are all kinds of "The People of Walmart" videos out there even some songs. ^_^
TDD
The Daring Dufas wrote:

There are probably a thousand pictures of the strange being that inhabit the dark isles of WalMart stores on that site. Don't blame me if you spend a whole day asking yourself, WTH?
Make sure you're sitting down when you visit their DIY repair site:
http://whitetrashrepairs.com/

The problem is, I've seen and had to deal with those kind of things for real. ^_^
TDD
On Fri, 22 Feb 2013 21:53:51 -0600, The Daring Dufas

Then you'll appreciate the Redneck Smoke Alarm:
http://www.nachi.org/forum/f11/redneck-smoke-detector-54691/
--
Ed Huntress

On 2/22/2013 10:00 PM, Ed Huntress wrote:

That's not a smoke detector, that's a heat detector. I should know, one of the things I've done professionally was the installation of fire alarm systems and that device resembles a detector called a "rate of rise" which goes off when the air temperature reaches a certain point at a certain speed. ^_^
TDD
The Daring Dufas wrote:

And always have to be installed in the worst places. :(
On Sat, 23 Feb 2013 03:15:33 -0600, The Daring Dufas

But..its very much like the old Soda Globe heat detectors one can find occasionally in the East.
Very similar to these
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Snohomish_-_Blackman_House_Museum_-_Comet_fire_extinguisher_02A.jpg
On 2/23/2013 3:30 PM, Gunner wrote:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Snohomish_-_Blackman_House_Museum_-_Comet_fire_extinguisher_02A.jpg

Years ago I worked a short time for a company selling self contained fire alarms and I believe they even had a similar self contained fire extinguisher. I do remember seeing the type extinguisher as the one in your link. ^_^
TDD
The Daring Dufas wrote:

Check it out. You haven't seen every possible stupid repair, YET! ;-) You'll be glad you didn't have to clean up most of them.

Of course not, I'd never be so arrogant to claim I've seen everything but I'm confident I've seen TOO much. I know I'll never live long enough to see EVERYTHING. ^_^
TDD
The Daring Dufas wrote:

May you live long enough to regret that remark. ;-)
On Sat, 23 Feb 2013 04:42:09 -0500, "Michael A. Terrell"

Hear Hear!!!