Kitchen Island adaptation ...

All, My girlfriend recently moved into a new home and the kitchen really lacks counter space. I have offered to build her one of Norm's kitchen islands, but we want to widen the top so that we can fit some stools underneath. I am looking for recommendations on how wide to make the top. thanks in advance.
LarryLev wrote:

I would make it so you have a minimum of 4' to walk around the island. Mock something up out of plywood and try it out for a week or two.

Dave
"LarryLev" wrote in message

An overhang of at least 11", minimum, works well for stools and is comfortable ... anything less will not be for most adults.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 8/29/06
Swingman wrote:

Hang your top over the back of the cabinet about 12". You can go more if you like as long as you have good support. Make sure you have enough room to move around your island. Code here requires a minimum of 3' clearance on all sides but sometimes that may not be enough. Check the oven w/door open, the dishwasher w/door open and your refrigerator w/door open. I've seen more than one print with an island drawn and a large single door refrigerator would not open completely.
Mike O.
so, it looks like about 11" or 12" is the concensus on the width. thanks for the info. space around it is not a concern because the townhouse and kitchen are set up so that there is a stub wall separating the kitchen from the small den. We plan on putting the unit as if it was an extension of the stub wall and backing up on a sofa that faces the den. there is plenty of room on the one side to accomodate an island with a projection.
-- thanks.