Kitchen Corner Cabinet solution

Most of you may well be aware of the dreaded corner cabinet in kitchens which require us to reach far in the back for those needed pots and pans or other items. I searched products made for this type of cabinet but they all come with a hefty price tag. Therefore, the obvious comes to mind about the capability to make my own.

The general idea is to build a shelf system for the back area with the ability to roll forward and IMO, simple to build. But the dilemma is to make something which will allow the front shelf system to pull out and pivot out of the way for the rear items. Has anyone ever built a system for this type of cabinet? If so, would you share your layout and required hardware, as well as any other info?

Thank you

Reply to
SBH

They're called "blind corner cabinets". Do a search, they are not that expensive. They make them with "half" moon lazy suzan shelves so they can swing out

Reply to
Mikepier

You don't have to make a blind corner cabinet. As long as you're building your own and don't want to deal with the lazy susan situation, you can do something like some of the options available here, with more space to boot:

the wrap ...

Reply to
Swingman

I could be wrong , but I took the OP to mean that (s)he already has the cabinet and is looking for plans for "retro-fit" shelving system, like this sweet unit, but a tad less expensive:

DerbyDad03

------------------------------------------- Never waste that kind of space in a boat galley.

Turn the space into bins with access from the counter top.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

made one wouldn't be easy.

Reply to
Tony

Chris Friesen

Easier than ordering or installing? Probably not.

Easier than paying 500 bucks? Certainly.

Oh wait! Free shipping. Never mind. :-)

Reply to
-MIKE-

I spent some time trying to design a blind corner unit like this

matter what I came up with it always had too much wasted space to make it worthwhile, plus the fact that it will eventually break. I bought a Lazy Susan kit from Lee Valley. The term KISS makes a lot of sense sometimes.

LdB

Reply to
LdB

I am facing a similar situation and saw this solution as well (and liked it too). Still it seemed to me - though I never followed through on it - that it would not be difficult to design something like this using full extension slides. In the end, I have decided to put up a wall, a sliding door and make the whole corner into a pantry, if that makes any sense at all...

Harvey

Reply to
eclipsme

Huh?

Reply to
SBH

Maybe to others, but I'm not quite seeing the picture. Care to elaborate?

Thanks

Reply to
SBH

I could be wrong , but I took the OP to mean that (s)he already has the cabinet and is looking for plans for "retro-fit" shelving system, like this sweet unit, but a tad less expensive:

DD. "He" already has the cabinet filled with a mountain of pots, pans, lids, etc with very little degree of organization.

Purchasing anything over $100 is not in my plans when I believe I can make something a better fit for about the same or less.

One idea is to have a sliding shelf system on a slightly raised platform for the rear. The front (in front of door opening) would have a sliding system to come straight out, but the trick is to get it to pivot to allow clearance for the rear sliding system. The raised platform for the rear would allow the track to hover over the front track system or, an idea of mounting front tracks on the side of the cabinet (one higher and one lower) then pivoting when extended.

Reply to
SBH

They're called "blind corner cabinets". Do a search, they are not that expensive. They make them with "half" moon lazy suzan shelves so they can swing out

Already saw them. Not what I'm looking for.

Thanks

Reply to
SBH

FYI...I found this site with a solution to the blind corner cabinet (4 pictures) which is exactly how I envisioned my idea with exception to making the front drawer slide, then pivot. The cabinet configuration is EXACTLY how my cabinet is built.

SBH

Thanks for the update. You can teach an old dog new tricks. :)

Reply to
Swingman

====================== SBH wrote:

-------------------------------------

Think of a round plastic bin like a waste basket, say 12" dia at top flange.

Cut 12" dia hole in counter in a dead area space, drop in basket, the fab a lid to cover basket opening and transition to balance of counter top.

Could be done with retangular bins depending on existing geometry.

Bins could be fabricated with ply and laminate.

Cover from Corian or equal to match balance of countertop.

The only limitation is you basically are limited to light weight items for storage in a deep bin.

HTH

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

THX

Reply to
LouB

Bad description on my part. Think of the typical blind cabinet installation - cabs along a wall (C), ending in a blind cab at the corner (B), and then more cabs (C) along the adjacent wall.

C C B BCCCCCC

Now, take out the blind cab and the first cab or 2 on the adjacent wall. Both lowers and uppers.

C C X XXXCCCC

Wall this area in making a pantry about 2' deep (the depth of the adjacent cab) by about 4' or more (the depth of the blind cab - 2' - plus the width of the adjacent cabs)

If you are still with me, a sliding door goes where the adjacent cab used to be. Now you have a full pantry from floor to ceiling.

C C C_ |__|CCC

I probably just confused the situation more...

I like this solution, too, but how would you get the first shelf to pivot out of the way?

eclipsme

Yes, I recently posted that link last night as the exact set up I'm facing with my own cabinet and the exact question of how to pivot the front shelf. Not sure yet about the pivot, but I plan to do this set up. For now, I'll keep the bulkier items on the rear slider (I will also have a double shelf system for the rear) and the lids and smaller items on the front, which will enable me to reach the rear.

Thanks again.

Reply to
SBH