Kitchen cabibet edges?

What do you use on exposed cabinet edges? I am using a solid wood 3/4" X 3/4" strip, but I'm wondering if that's too thick. Also, how do you attach it, just edge glue, or something else? I'm using "0" biscuits.
manny

What's the material you are edging?
Tim w
On Sun, 04 Nov 2007 12:04:10 GMT, "Tim W"

Most of the time it is ply that I'm edging. Except for the higher-end kitchen cabinets, they are ply or particle board and the edges must be trimmed with wood. I've trimmed with white oak and got excellent results. Thicker edges can use biscuits, although this does little except help alignment. For thin trim, glue and clamp. There are edging clamps you can buy or make that have three screws (maybe you can rent/borrow clamps). Most wood glues will grab well in two hours and then the clamps can be removed, but don't hurry the curing time before working with it. If the finish is paint, use finish nails, countersink, and fill the holes.

Ply can be edged with a roll of pre-glued veneer edging tape. Especially good is birch ply with maple veneer edging.
Tim w
sides go over the back and front edges and the facing covers the front, only exposed edge is the toe on mine.

manuel wrote:

1. You can use pre-made iron on tape. It comes in plastic (polyester IIRC) to match the colors of melamine boards and in wood in the more commonly used species. You can get it (probably) at the same place you got your sheet goods. It is slightly wider than 3/4" so it can be trimmed flush after application.
2. You can make your own of solid wood in whatever thickness you wish. The thinner it is the easier it is to trim flush after gluing on. You don't need biscuits except to help align if using thick strips. Even with biscuits I suspect you'll need to make the strips wider than the edges and trim after gluing.
Personally, I make my own...1/16 to 3/8 max and trim with a hand plane.
--

dadiOH