kitchen bench in teak

Hi all. I'm building the work bench of my kitchen in TEAK (just out of curiosity, not teak "burka", but another cheaper type of teak). I'd like to finish it with oil, but maybe it doesn't need. Could you please give me some advice? In the case what oil? 'bye from Italy, Emilio.

Reply to
Emilio

These folks sell an oil they use on their wood kitchen surfaces, as far as I know it's just a mineral oil like you would get at the druggist.

beecrofter

If it isn't from the Far East it probably isn't exactly teak, but no matter. You are right it is not essential to oil teak but keep it clean and looking good by using any vegetable oil. Olive oil is good. Don't paint it on like varnish, spread it with a small cloth and then wipe off all you can with paper or cloth. It will dry in a day or two.

Tim w

Reply to
Tim W

"Tim W" ha scritto nel messaggio news:R5IFh.37536$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe3-gui.ntli.net...

Thank you both. I have a question then: we also thought to use olive oil, I'd like it, but the other day a friend of mine advised me that the olive oil may sour and then smell sour. Have you ever heard something similar?

Reply to
Emilio

: Thank you both. I have a question then: we also thought to use olive oil, : I'd like it, but the other day a friend of mine advised me that the olive : oil may sour and then smell sour. Have you ever heard something similar?

Yes, this can happen. There's been multiple discussions of food oils used for finishing in rec.crafts.woodturning.

Try walnut oil instead of olive. It gives a very nice oil finish, and the oil will cure (which olive oil won't).

-- Andy Barss

Reply to
Andrew Barss