Kinda OT question

We have a chain carving of a bear. Its about 4' tall and about 2-3' around made out of I don't know what kind of log? Anyway, it sets outside but on a porch so it don't get wet but it does get some sun. It is starting to crack in several places like the log is really drying out. We live in Florida where the humidity is not low. Any recommendations on what kind of finish to stop the cracking. Its real rough so I don't think something could be brushed on. Is there some kind of oil that would soak in and protect the beast (bear)?
Thanks Ron
"If it isn't broke, fix it until it is"
On Sun, 6 Mar 2005 17:39:28 -0500, the inscrutable "Ron Stitt"

Look for some Polyethylene Glycol (PEG). It might slow the drying, but craking happens if the core isn't bored out so the wood can shrink as it dries out.

around
crack
Like Larry said, cracking/checking is going to happen to logs in the round. Hopefully that is a look you can learn to like. I would not bother trying to slow the cracking. What you want is to preserve the color and weathering as much as you can. I would get some Thomsons Waterseal or similar, put it in a plastic spray bottle, and spray the carving down twice a year. Treat it like deck material.