Kinda OT: ? about nylon inserted lock nuts

This is a question more for the machinists who frequent Wreck Wood.

Today I was assembling some metal frame and bent plywood chairs we bought. They are held together with threaded studs, flat washers and those hex nuts with the the white nylon inserts (lock nuts I believe I saw them labeled at the hardware store). I noticed that on one side of the nut there is a small round collar, slightly smaller in diameter than the diameter between the flat faces of the nut.

First, does one put the nut on so this collar faces the washer, reversed (away from the washer), or does it matter? Second, what purpose does this collar serve?

More on topic to woodworking, the 5/8" arbor nut on my TS has a similar design. I've wondered if it is intended to go against the blade stabilizing washer, or away from it.

TIA,

Ian

Reply to
Ian Dodd

The "collar" is there to hold the Nylon in.. It goes to the outside, away from the washer.

Reply to
CW

Sure does, and the finish the answer, the nylon ring prevents the nut from backing off, or loosening off as a result of vibration etc. Around my region, they call these Nyloc nuts.

-- Regards,

Dean Bielanowski Editor, Online Tool Reviews

5 Reviews:

- Workshop Essentials Under $30

- Festool PS 300 Jigsaws

- Delta Universal Tenoning Jig

- Ryobi Reciprocating Saw

- Infinity Router Bits

SawEyes

I've seen them generically referred to as elastic stop nuts.

todd

Reply to
todd

Me too. I thought I was the only one. To me, a "lock nut" is one that has an integral little gear-shaped thing crimped onto it.

Nyloc nuts are different. Probably more reliable, but also irritating because they have to be wrenched all the way on or off.

Reply to
Silvan