Kilz gloss

I used the oil-based original Kilz to block some water damage to my popcorn textured ceiling. Then I repainted with a flat finish ceiling paint but the area where I used the Kilz is very glossy whilst the rest is flat (as it was supposed to be). Anyone got any ideas about how to proceed to flatten the gloss? I'll redo the ceiling if I have to but I don't want a glossy ceiling.
Agkistrodon
When I lived in Tucson I had a painter do my popcorn ceilings. As I watched him scrape off the stained popcorn I asked him why he just didn't seal it with Kilz. He told me that Kilz would seal the pores in the popcorn and the final texture of the paint would never match the unsealed stuff. I guess he was right. He shot new popcorn where the stained stuff had been and the final painted result was undetectable from the old popcorn areas.
You may need to scrape, re-popcorn, and repaint your offending areas to get the match you want.
Art

Step one: get rid of the popcorn.
Put Kilz on the damaged spot if needed, then paint the entire ceiling with a good ceiling paint and it will look much better and cleaner. Ed snipped-for-privacy@snet.net http://pages.cthome.net/edhome
Popcorn, or any other texture, is used to cover up the poor quality of the job done by the dry wall contractor. A good contractor can produce a smooth flat surface. A lousy one uses pop corn, or some other texture to hide his mistakes.
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

My ceilings were perfect under the popcorn. YMMV A few nicks from scraping had to be spackled in the first room, then we got better at removing it. I have no idea why people like the stuff. It is very difficult to paint. The only benefit is that it will diffuse harsh light. They even had that crap in our kitchen and the dining room with crown molding.
Ed Pawlowski responds:

Hey, a lot of the time, they turn up the taste knob and add glitter.
Charlie Self "I hope our wisdom will grow with our power, and teach us, that the less we use our power the greater it will be." Thomas Jefferson

I find the glitter very hard to paint and not cover up.. ;~)

You're lucky. My experience has shown that popcorn is usually used to save the labor cost of the later coats of mud. One coat with the tape, poof with the popcorn machine, and on to the next job.
If the money is spent to get a great surface, spending even more on popcorn is a waste.
Barry

Or a contractor hired by a cheap general contractor.
I know top-notch drywall guys who also do popcorn, just like my local liquor store sells microbrews and Pabst. You payz your money... <G>
Barry

Um perhaps but also to add a little texture to a boring ceiling and to add a bit of sound absorption.

Popcorn may also have been used for 'acoustical' reasons.
It does wonders to cut down on 'echo', "boxiness", in a room with hard floors, not alot of furniture, and 'resonant' dimensions.
Popcorn on the ceiling is actually better at this than carpet on the floor.
On 16 Nov 2003 13:52:21 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@mindspring.com (Agkistrodon) brought forth from the murky depths:

Continue covering it with flat ceiling paint like you did the rest of it.
---------------------------------------------------------------- * OPERA: A Latin word * Wondrous Website Design * meaning * Save your Heirloom Photos * "death by music" * http://www.diversify.com ----------------------------------------------------------------