Killing a tree???

Greetings All, I'm concerned that my neighbor may be trying to kill one of my trees. It sits about 2 feet from our common property line and he does nothing but complain about it. I'm not sure of the species, but it's not an oak. I've heard of some ways to kill a tree (copper nails in it, etc) but you folks are the experts. What signs should I look out for from my neferious neighbor? I really want to keep my tree. Thanks, Mark
Thu, Jun 14, 2007, 12:41am (EDT+4) snipped-for-privacy@Nowhere.com (Mark) stumbles in mumbing: Greetings All, I'm concerned that my neighbor may be trying to kill one of my trees. It sits about 2 feet from our common property line and he does nothing but complain about it. I'm not sure of the species, but it's not an oak. I've heard of some ways to kill a tree (copper nails in it, etc) but you folks are the experts. What signs should I look out for from my neferious neighbor? I really want to keep my tree. Thanks, Mark
If it's not an oak we can't help you. Go talk to a local tree surgeon and have him take the tree's temperatre for you..
JOAT If a man does his best, what else is there? - General George S. Patton

Sorry - we're only experts after the tree is dead. Let us know after your neighbor succeeds in his secret plot, and maybe one of us would be interested in having it milled up. With your tempting description of "not an oak", I'm sure the wood would be in high demand.

I'd say if there's a big notch cut in it pointed at your house that would be a pretty good sign.
What's he upset about? Roots in his yard? Too much shade? Think's it going to fall on his property? Just hates trees in general?
-Leuf
Leuf wrote: Mainly roots I guess, he's not very talkative....

Broadleaf Week Killer. Enough granuals (as is weed and feed) around the base of the tree will do the job. Or just spray the tree with liquid broadleaf week killer. Ideally, in the fall just before the leafs turn. You won't notice anything odd until the next spring when your tree doesn't leaf out. I can attest this works wonderfully on cotton wood trees and black locust. Don't ask me how I know about this.

Why do I think it is you, who with our help, is plotting to kill the neighbor's tree??????
ROY! wrote:

Probably cuz he doesn't have any, so there's nothing for me to kill.

Salt will kill a tree, if applied around the base. The removal of a sizeable strip of cambium around the girth of the main stem(s) will also kill a tree.
On Fri, 15 Jun 2007 02:01:16 -0700, Treelady

Last year I removed the bark and notched completely around two different trees, yet the trees (to my surprise) have completely leafed out. After ringing a tree how long will it take it die? Plus, the trees are putting out suckers that I constantly cut off. My plan is to drill holes in the stump and keep them filled with nitrogen.
Phisherman wrote:

What variety of tree was this? If you actually cut the cambium layer completely, it'll die beginning the moment the last cell is cut for any species I'm aware of...
You must not have gotten quite deep enough.
dpb wrote:
| What variety of tree was this? If you actually cut the cambium | layer completely, it'll die beginning the moment the last cell is | cut for any species I'm aware of... | | You must not have gotten quite deep enough.
<eg> Let me introduce you to weeping willow...
Six years after cutting the tree down and into 8' logs, they were still putting out new branches (with leaves) and trying to re-root.
I had to roll the logs every year to prevent successful rooting.
How deep d'ya gotta go?
Morris Dovey wrote:

Yeah, I keep forgetting about places where it rains all the time... :)
dpb wrote: | Morris Dovey wrote: || dpb wrote: || ||| What variety of tree was this? If you actually cut the cambium ||| layer completely, it'll die beginning the moment the last cell is ||| cut for any species I'm aware of... ||| ||| You must not have gotten quite deep enough. || || <eg> Let me introduce you to weeping willow... || || Six years after cutting the tree down and into 8' logs, they were || still putting out new branches (with leaves) and trying to re-root. || || I had to roll the logs every year to prevent successful rooting. || || How deep d'ya gotta go? | | Yeah, I keep forgetting about places where it rains all the time... | :)
Ya, you betcha - that was in the great tropical rain forest of Minnesota. ;-)

Ah, a lot like here, only colder. Damp and cool the past few days (very low 60s, 1/4" rain per day), and I won't have to roll logs to keep them from rooting, but I will have to go along and clip all the shoots from various fruit trees and, particularly, the hybrid poplars along the drive. The power company cut those down and ground up the stumps last year, but I figure it will be a decade, at least, before the shoots stop coming. The fruit tree shoots are simpler, because they're slower growing--just mow them off. The poplars...yeah, well, those things grew 3-4' annually for 15 years and don't seem inclined to stop. Some of the shoots were a foot or more over my head before we got them cut off. Within three years, they'd make viable trees again, and then we'd be in the same cycle, with the power company needing to cut down some healthy, great looking trees because ice storms can put them into power lines. We'll clip.

I'm sure it was deep, all the way around. One is a sourwood, the other is a locust (I believe).

Perhaps invite him over, offer a beer, and talk about nothing. There's a more-serious "trust" issue going on here.

Perhaps you should try posting to alt.paranoia or alt.I.can't.get.along.with.my.neighbor
If you have a neighbor as an enemy, the only way to defeat them is to make them your friend.
RicodJour wrote:

If you want him to give you a wide berth, loan him $20.
If you want him to move away in the night, loan him a new lawnmower.
Virus Database (VPS): 000750-0, 06/18/2007

I know that as an Italian proverb: If your neighbor bothers you, lend him money.