Killed while cutting down neighbor's tree

Page 1 of 3

Events like this always get to me:
http://www.dailyherald.com/story.asp?idx766

Very strange story. They tell that this very tree fell over eight years ago, knoking holes into the houses roof, and now it falls down onto someone trying to fell it? Someone put it up again after it fell over for the first time? Not very credible.
Juergen Hannappel wrote:

I thought the same thing when I first read the story. But given that a journalist wrote it (and we all know that they're not very bright) perhaps just a limb broke of earlier. I usually take what I read in News papers and hear reported on TV with a pinch of salt. As for the ability of journalists, as case in point was when the bombings occurred in England and a TV news reader asked the Minister for Railways(or similar) I can't recall his exact title, "If the underground was safe to travel on". Shit how would he know ?? 5 minutes before the bombing he would have said yes. 5 minutes after their might never be another bomb. This was while there where still conflicting stories regarding the the number of explosions. DUH. Oh well my spleen is now empty ;) All the best John A tragic story.
On Sun, 31 Jul 2005 09:59:35 GMT, John B

They got their start here.
On Sun, 31 Jul 2005 09:59:35 GMT, John B

I swear this is true. Years back when the Shuttle first launched it's then new Canadian Arm an Info Babe from CNN or one of the big three was there to cover the flight by doing an interview of an engineer. It was immediately obvious that she had not a clue and her fellow reporters had told her a good question to ask was, "There is some fear the Shuttle won't be able to achieve orbit because the arm is to heavy, is that true?"
The guy stiffled a laugh, barely.
Sniffer wrote:

Back when NASA still provided a feed of the communications between ground control and the shuttle crew to the networks I was watching a launch with some taling head, might have been Dan Rather, and a Nasa guy providing commentary. Mercifully, they said very little so we could hear as the chuttle crew noted a high temperature on their #3 APU and after verifying tha tground control saw the same thing, received the OK to shut it down. At the time, this had been a chronic and well publicised problem. IMMEDIATLEY after ground control told the crew to go ahead and shut down the overheated unit the talking head guy remarked to the NASA guy, "Well, it sounds like everything is going OK."
--

FF

Sniffer wrote:

Love it
On Sun, 31 Jul 2005 11:29:48 +0200, Juergen Hannappel

Note that all of those involved were/are of the Polish persuasion.
;)
- -
DL
http://www.geocities.com/dicklong14_ca/fanclub.htm
"Are the Oompa Loompas the synchronized swimmers?" - Ruby Tuesday on alt.culture.us.70s
::::::::::::::::
Halter Sucks!

That has got to be the worst article I've ever read... I don't know that I've ever seen "thread drift" in the middle of a short piece like that. Kind of trivialises the guys death when the last half of the article is about the real estate history of the house. Would've made more sense to me if they'd have finished up with a bit about chainsaw saftey, maybe a few words from the EMT/Firemen on the scene about how people can prevent these things. Who cares when they bought and sold the house, or whether or not there was a fire there many years ago?
On Sun, 31 Jul 2005 09:31:42 -0500, Prometheus

The Daily Herald is very consistent at least, I have seen poor reporting in it for years on end. Being a small paper in the Chicago market which gives away more than half of it subscriptions what do you expect? They pay lousy and over charge for advertising IMO.
Mark
Markem wrote:

Par for the course for these small papers. Not only the Daily Herald but the Northwest Herald (different publisher, farther NW burbs):
The joke I like is: "Before the Herald (take your pick) we didn't have a daily paper fit to wrap garbage in. Now we do!"
Compare that to the big news guys that over sensationalize everything and they all seem to think that it is their moral obligation to shape social views by selective reporting. Most news these days could more accurately be termed as fiction based on a true story.

Well you could not label the TV news "a reality show" it would really confuse the viewers.
Mark

Also particularly liked the statement, "... neither of the two were associated with a professional tree removal service ..." My cynical self sees reporter implying, "... only licensed professionals should be allowed to own or use chain saws ... "
Frankly, I'm not sure that putting words in by the EMT/Firemen with a "safety moment" would really have been all that much of an improvement because the only thing you would get in these litigious days would be a statement to the effect, "only professionals should attempt to remove trees" rather than something useful like, "while it is best that people use professionals for these operations, those undertaking such operations should do such and such to assure that the work they are doing is safe..."

It's hard to know which one needs to get into a new line of work.
The writer, or the editor.

Both!
--
Nahmie

Not to mention our two amatuer lumberjacks.
Lee Michaels wrote:

Who tried to "chop" down a tree with a chainsaw. Incredibly inept writing. Almost as bad as a novel I just finished. I'm still scratching my head, trying to figure out why I read either one, the above story, and the novel.

Man, you just hit a real sore spot.
I just finished "reading" a "novel" by some knucklehead, called "The Romanov something or other".
I can't remember his name, and if I had remembered his name from when I "read", "The Amber Room", I would never have bought the stupid piece of crap in the first place.
I have read so much bad pretend literature during the last six months that I'm about ready to stop buying new books and take advantage of my CRS, so that I can re-read Dickens, Steinbeck, Fitzgerald, and Zap Comix.
If I have gotten so bored that I actually wonder when the next Dan Brown (decent plotter - really bad writer) comes out - it is time to rethink my book pile.
I thought that the new James Lee Burke would save me, but I consumed it in a day, and it was a brief and angry fix.
I'm pretty damned tired of reading doctors and lawyers who also write.
Where the hell are the writers?
I reckon that everyone with an ounce of talent and a lick of sense is writing screenplays.
Damned shame.
Tom Watson wrote:

So how was it? Waiting to finish the latest John Sandford -"prey" series book" before picking up a copy.

The name escapes me at the moment but there's one author out there who actually tells you, right in the post script to his books that if you're thinking about writing him with ideas for a book, corrections, etc. don't bother he doesn't read them and would ignore them if he did.
This from a guy who repeatedly discusses "putting a clip in" the revolver and "flicking off the safety." His books were pretty good but... screw him

Sitting in the sun on some Caribbean island enjoying their profits.