Killed while cutting down neighbor's tree

Events like this always get to me:

AL

Very strange story. They tell that this very tree fell over eight years ago, knoking holes into the houses roof, and now it falls down onto someone trying to fell it? Someone put it up again after it fell over for the first time? Not very credible.

Reply to
Juergen Hannappel

I thought the same thing when I first read the story. But given that a journalist wrote it (and we all know that they're not very bright) perhaps just a limb broke of earlier. I usually take what I read in News papers and hear reported on TV with a pinch of salt. As for the ability of journalists, as case in point was when the bombings occurred in England and a TV news reader asked the Minister for Railways(or similar) I can't recall his exact title, "If the underground was safe to travel on". Shit how would he know ?? 5 minutes before the bombing he would have said yes. 5 minutes after their might never be another bomb. This was while there where still conflicting stories regarding the the number of explosions. DUH. Oh well my spleen is now empty ;) All the best John A tragic story.

Reply to
John B

They got their start here.

Reply to
Guess who

That has got to be the worst article I've ever read... I don't know that I've ever seen "thread drift" in the middle of a short piece like that. Kind of trivialises the guys death when the last half of the article is about the real estate history of the house. Would've made more sense to me if they'd have finished up with a bit about chainsaw saftey, maybe a few words from the EMT/Firemen on the scene about how people can prevent these things. Who cares when they bought and sold the house, or whether or not there was a fire there many years ago?

Reply to
Prometheus

The Daily Herald is very consistent at least, I have seen poor reporting in it for years on end. Being a small paper in the Chicago market which gives away more than half of it subscriptions what do you expect? They pay lousy and over charge for advertising IMO.

Mark

Reply to
Markem

Par for the course for these small papers. Not only the Daily Herald but the Northwest Herald (different publisher, farther NW burbs):

The joke I like is: "Before the Herald (take your pick) we didn't have a daily paper fit to wrap garbage in. Now we do!"

Reply to
Unquestionably Confused

Well you could not label the TV news "a reality show" it would really confuse the viewers.

Mark

Reply to
Markem

It's hard to know which one needs to get into a new line of work.

The writer, or the editor.

Tom Watson - WoodDorker tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet (email)

(website)

Reply to
Tom Watson

Both!

Reply to
Norman D. Crow

Not to mention our two amatuer lumberjacks.

Reply to
Lee Michaels

Who tried to "chop" down a tree with a chainsaw. Incredibly inept writing. Almost as bad as a novel I just finished. I'm still scratching my head, trying to figure out why I read either one, the above story, and the novel.

Reply to
Charlie Self

Man, you just hit a real sore spot.

I just finished "reading" a "novel" by some knucklehead, called "The Romanov something or other".

I can't remember his name, and if I had remembered his name from when I "read", "The Amber Room", I would never have bought the stupid piece of crap in the first place.

I have read so much bad pretend literature during the last six months that I'm about ready to stop buying new books and take advantage of my CRS, so that I can re-read Dickens, Steinbeck, Fitzgerald, and Zap Comix.

If I have gotten so bored that I actually wonder when the next Dan Brown (decent plotter - really bad writer) comes out - it is time to rethink my book pile.

I thought that the new James Lee Burke would save me, but I consumed it in a day, and it was a brief and angry fix.

I'm pretty damned tired of reading doctors and lawyers who also write.

Where the hell are the writers?

I reckon that everyone with an ounce of talent and a lick of sense is writing screenplays.

Damned shame.

Tom Watson - WoodDorker tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet (email)

(website)

Reply to
Tom Watson

So how was it? Waiting to finish the latest John Sandford -"prey" series book" before picking up a copy.

The name escapes me at the moment but there's one author out there who actually tells you, right in the post script to his books that if you're thinking about writing him with ideas for a book, corrections, etc. don't bother he doesn't read them and would ignore them if he did.

This from a guy who repeatedly discusses "putting a clip in" the revolver and "flicking off the safety." His books were pretty good but... screw him

Sitting in the sun on some Caribbean island enjoying their profits.

Reply to
Unquestionably Confused

It was cool, but it was Burke/Robicheaux, without Baptiste.

I like B/R better than B/Texas Ranger Dude, but I really need a Baptiste fix.

And Burke could use a jolt of S King's loquaciousness - the books is good - but too short.

Tom Watson - WoodDorker tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet (email)

(website)

Reply to
Tom Watson

Also particularly liked the statement, "... neither of the two were associated with a professional tree removal service ..." My cynical self sees reporter implying, "... only licensed professionals should be allowed to own or use chain saws ... "

Frankly, I'm not sure that putting words in by the EMT/Firemen with a "safety moment" would really have been all that much of an improvement because the only thing you would get in these litigious days would be a statement to the effect, "only professionals should attempt to remove trees" rather than something useful like, "while it is best that people use professionals for these operations, those undertaking such operations should do such and such to assure that the work they are doing is safe..."

Mark & Juanita

... snip

just to pick a nit with the nit you are picking, shouldn't that read, "I'm still scratchingmy head, trying to figure out why I read either one, the above story, OR the novel"?

Mark & Juanita

Sounds like it's worth a shot even though it's a departure from the norm.

Never read the others. Looked at the novel's description and felt time spent with Fine Woodworking (just to keep this somewhat on topic) would be better spend.

Nah, not his style. Seems to tell you "just enough" to paint the scene but not bore you.

Reply to
Unquestionably Confused

I haven't bought a new book in years - instead I go to the library and check out a big stack of randomly selected stuff. I have finally reached the point where I can read the first chapter or so and just walk away from the book it it's too bad. Usually out of every dozen or so books I will find a couple that are at least worth reading to the end.

Out flipping burgers. Junk sells, good writing doesn't.

Look at the recent crops of TV shows and movies and you can tell that isn't where they are either!

Amen to that.

Tim Douglass

Tim Douglass