Kicthen Flooring

Hello
My girlfriend and I are looking for some ideas on redoing the kitchen floor. Both of us like wooden flooring. Both of us are lacking ideas on what kind of color/design to pick. Her cabinets are slightly dark brown. I love light colored wood (not white) something like the beige color. That color would also lighten up the kitchen.
Where can I get some good kitchen flooring (wood/laminate) ideas? We would like to know the currently popular ones on the market. What kind of wood (and color) is being used in the high end homes? (Please don't get the wrong idea. Our house is very modest :-) by all means).
Thank you in advance of any help and advice.
BT s u p e r o <AT> a t t g l o b a l <DOT> n e t

would
Go to a good flooring store or home decorating store. You will find better choices than Home Depot type stores.
IMO, the wood in the floor should contrast the wood in the cabinets. Too much of the same tone will make everything boring and dull.
Want to see what can be done? http://www.velvitoil.com/Floors.htm
Good point, I'm currently putting down an oak floor with a medium dark stain (think fumed) to contrast with my maple cabinets (installing them next week). Then I'll be making my own base molding out of maple to carry that tone around the room.
Pics as I progress in abpw.
JC
wrote in message

wood

I just finished a laminate floor yesterday. Alpine Maple from HD. I buy from flooring dealers , not big box stores. My boss buys from cheapest source. This flooring snaps together , looks great much to my surprise. A roll of foam is laid down first. Three rows of laminate flooring go in, then another layer of foam taped together at the seams with packaging tape. Continue until done. Read instructions on leaving gap at perimeters etc. After 1/2 hr you will become an expert. I could teach an orangutang to lay these floors it is so simple. Two old carpenters ( I'm 60 my partner is 79 years old ) laid 1200 sf ft in 15 hours. This included removing trim and replacing after floor is done. mike
A few yeares ago we put in a wood-tone snap together laminate flooring in our kitchen. Wife loves it and have had many compliments on it. Easy to work with, many shades to pick from, 25 year warranty.

floor.
kind
light
would
Jerry, do you have an idea of which one you will be using? I'm doing a poll on laminate flooring brands, I would love to get your input... it is at http://laminateflooring.oncloud8.com/viewtopic.php?t=3 .
Cheers, Tim

Does not work as a survey. Used Mannington engineered wood in my family room and hallway about a year ago. Used WilsonArt in the foyer and stairs about six years ago. Like them both.

Ed, my wife wants the same sort of floor for the family room and kitchen. While I'm waiting for the checkbook to recover from the last project, I'm trying to plan this one, for minimum disruption.
What kind of sub-floor prep did you need to do?
Did you nail, glue or float the floor down?
Would you do this again?
Any other wisdom to share?
Thanks!
Patriarch

I put it over concrete on the lowr level. You need a vapor barrier made just for that. Easy enough to use.

Mannington uses glue in the tongue and groove when intalled over concrete. I think it can be done that way over a sub-floor also. Instructions are available to download on ther web site.

Yes. I still have one room to do. It is a sewing room/office. Maybe next year. It has been down for a year and I'm very happy with it. Easy to clean. It gets vacuumed with a brush and once in a while, I use the spray cleaner the dealer gave me and a Swiffer.

Buy knee pads.
It was also "mandatory" that I had a 12" miter saw to do the job.

You're welcome

I got the knee pads last year when we laid the cobblestone patio and walkway. The 12" CMS was part of the tool package for the hall bathroom three years ago. Maybe I ought to finish painting the trim in there. ;-)

I always appreciate your comments and help, Ed.
Patriarch
Ooops, for some reason it was set to only allow votes from registered users... I think I've fixed it, can you test it again? Thanks so much for your help.
http://laminateflooring.oncloud8.com/viewtopic.php?t=3

Works OK now.

The flooring I put in our kitchen was Alloc (I am pretty sure of the brand) and was installed about 5 years ago. It comes with a felt backing on each board so no underlayment is needed. Locked together firmly and we have had no problems at all with it.
I very recently took out some carpet in an entryway and installed Armstrong laminate which resembles random stone tile pieces. This required a thin foam padding underlayment which was layed down and duct taped in place. These also locked firmly in place with no apparent problems yet. The floor looks great but the dogs don't really like it. They are used to running for the door there but cannot stop now and slide all over the place. No visible scratches from that yet. Seems to be a very durable finish.
Jerry, can you try my survey again? It turns out to default on registered users, which was not my intent. I think it is fixed now... http://laminateflooring.oncloud8.com/viewtopic.php?t=3