key hole cutter. What is it for

Page 1 of 2

x-no-archive:yes
In my router bit kit I have something called a key hole cutter or something like that. What is it used for?
Thanks!

You plunge the cutter into the back board and move it in a line towards the top of the item.
You can now hang the item on the wall from a screw. You put the big hole over the screw, push it to the wall, then allow item to drop. This way it does not slip off the screw head.
Grizzly describes them as, "Used for wall mounting clocks, pictures and other hanging items. Also used for T-slots."
Lee Michaels wrote:

Would be good for making keyholes.

and a lot easier than using a keyhole saw..
Mac
stryped wrote:

How is it that you have internet access but can't Google?
On 23 Mar 2006 11:48:02 -0800, RicodJour wrote:

This person sure asks some very basic questions. I think it shows a lack of ability to visualze, and think things though. Which would explain a lot, like no knowing how to use Google, and not knowing what a "key hole cutter" would do.
--
Art

It shows an ability to troll and get a few bites. Jeez, a keyhole cutter is for cutting keyholes.

of
like
would
Would have been simple enough to look on almost any tool website like Lee Valley Tools to get a good visualization of what such a cutter can do.
Art Greenberg wrote:

Or possibly the ability to troll...

umm... isn't that what a newsgroup is for, to ask beginner questions and have more experienced people help?
Mac
On Fri, 24 Mar 2006 08:05:13 -0800, mac davis

Maybe, but arguably not in lieu of doing a little reading and research on one's own.
--
Chuck Taylor
http://home.hiwaay.net/~taylorc/contact /

I worked with a guy who would always ask me rather than look in a book. Some things he asked me over and over. I pointed out that things he found out for himself he remembered far better than the answers he got from me.

I do right the same right now. Aside from never looking anything up himself, he also LOVES to retransmit rumors.
My latest solution is to continually email him links to Google, Snopes, Yellow Pages, etc... <G>
He's just _starting_ to get the hint after about 6 months of doing so.
Barry

I guess that because I've learned so much in newsgroups and appreciate it so much, that I look at it differently.. What I TRY to do is answer if I can help and ignore it if I can't or don't think the OP is serious... What usually happens is that my natural smart ass side pops up and I can't help typing some "maybe funny but not any help" kind of comment, which IMO is at least as bad as flaming th OP.. YMWV
Mac
RicodJour wrote:

Geez Louise,
Give the guy a break!
If you can't say anything positive, clam up!
Gus wrote:

Alrighty. I'm positive that answering his ridiculously basic questions isn't helping him to think for himself, nor to solve problems. How's that?
I understand everyone was a beginner at some point. I also understand that at some point a usually accomodating, kind soul has said to each and everyone of us, "Geez! Will you quit asking so many questions?! Open a book."

I was wondering today if there is any question that crosses his mind that doesn't get posted.
todd
todd wrote:

Exactly.
I was thinking of having tunafish on rye with some lettuce for lunch. Would that go better with ice tea or iced coffee? Does it matter if it's served on a plastic or wooden tray? Should I put the lettuce on one piece of bread and the tunafish on the other, or should I put the lettuce on top of the tunafish? ;)

Oh, absolutely! I know I would. . . . . . =0)
RicodJour wrote:

I'd just go to the local and have a pie and beer ;)