key hole cutter. What is it for

x-no-archive:yes

In my router bit kit I have something called a key hole cutter or something like that. What is it used for?

Thanks!

Reply to
stryped

You plunge the cutter into the back board and move it in a line towards the top of the item.

You can now hang the item on the wall from a screw. You put the big hole over the screw, push it to the wall, then allow item to drop. This way it does not slip off the screw head.

Grizzly describes them as, "Used for wall mounting clocks, pictures and other hanging items. Also used for T-slots."

Reply to
Lee Michaels

How is it that you have internet access but can't Google?

RicodJour

This person sure asks some very basic questions. I think it shows a lack of ability to visualze, and think things though. Which would explain a lot, like no knowing how to use Google, and not knowing what a "key hole cutter" would do.

Reply to
Art Greenberg

It shows an ability to troll and get a few bites. Jeez, a keyhole cutter is for cutting keyholes.

Reply to
Guess who

Would be good for making keyholes.

Reply to
Roger_Nickel

Would have been simple enough to look on almost any tool website like Lee Valley Tools to get a good visualization of what such a cutter can do.

Reply to
Upscale

Geez Louise,

Give the guy a break!

If you can't say anything positive, clam up!

Reply to
Gus

Alrighty. I'm positive that answering his ridiculously basic questions isn't helping him to think for himself, nor to solve problems. How's that?

I understand everyone was a beginner at some point. I also understand that at some point a usually accomodating, kind soul has said to each and everyone of us, "Geez! Will you quit asking so many questions?! Open a book."

RicodJour

I was wondering today if there is any question that crosses his mind that doesn't get posted.

todd

Reply to
todd

Exactly.

I was thinking of having tunafish on rye with some lettuce for lunch. Would that go better with ice tea or iced coffee? Does it matter if it's served on a plastic or wooden tray? Should I put the lettuce on one piece of bread and the tunafish on the other, or should I put the lettuce on top of the tunafish? ;)

RicodJour

Oh, absolutely! I know I would. . . . . . =0)

Reply to
Robatoy

I'd just go to the local and have a pie and beer ;)

Reply to
John B

Or possibly the ability to troll...

Reply to
B A R R Y

Wooden tray, of course. You trying to go OT on us? Joe

Reply to
Joe Gorman

Well, (apparently) they come in different sizes. I have one that cuts very nice T-tracks. Quarter-inch hexhead bolts fit okay, but toilet bolts fit perfectly in the slot. The tolerance for a stand hex head is very sloppy, and it can "spin" in the slot. That said, lifting slightly on the tightening knob while tightening is the obvious solution.

I was initially worried about the wooden flanges breaking, until I considered the actually mechanics of a T-Track. Actually the bolt head and the tightening nut, clamp on both sides of the flanges, and usually, very little lateral pressure is actually exerted on the flanges. I've used it on a couple of different applications without any problems.

The length of the slotted track is infinitely variable, and there is not the problem of drilling and countersinking extra holes for the hold-down screws.

And there's several feet of blessedly expensive T-Track I haven't bought And T-track can be hard to obtain outside some wood specialty shops.

The keyhole cutter method does offer some advantages over the extruded aluminum tracks. The depth of the cut is adjustable, for one. Installing the aluminum track usually necessitates a pretty precise depth for the router bit.

On the down side, I wouldn't attempt it in an unsurfaced piece of particle board, although I have used it with success in Formica surfaced particle board. I don't think an unlined keyhole slot is structurally as strong as the aluminum track, so I could see potential problem with certain hold-down clamps. (However, there is no problem with featherboards).

IF you rip out a keyhole cut T-slot, the whole tabletop or guide fence (whatever) would probably have to be replaced, where as with the aluminum slot, it could be moved slightly or new holds drilled and the slot could be re-attached.

Just some food for thought.

Oh, BTW, you can cut keyholes with them.

James...

Reply to
Amused

and a lot easier than using a keyhole saw..

Mac

mac davis

umm... isn't that what a newsgroup is for, to ask beginner questions and have more experienced people help?

Mac

mac davis

Maybe, but arguably not in lieu of doing a little reading and research on one's own.

Reply to
Chuck Taylor

I worked with a guy who would always ask me rather than look in a book. Some things he asked me over and over. I pointed out that things he found out for himself he remembered far better than the answers he got from me.

Reply to
Bob Martin