Keeping Dust out of the Shop TV

Page 1 of 3
How do I keep dust out of a TV and DVD I plan to install in my shop? I'm sure someone has been there before...
Thanks in advance.

Either a complete dust managment system, or put the electronic components in a cabinet. The DVD will eventually suffer regardless.
I was having the same trouble with my tv and dvd in my shop. A friend of mind made joke of using a ziplock bag, so I went to a office depot and they had a extra large ziplock bag that my dvd player slipped into. So I cut a hole in the back of the bag to slip the cords through and when I use it, I unzip the front and put the dvd in and play. "Works for Me" As for as the tv my wife made me a slip cover and that slips over the tv and that works good. ........good luck

Mike responds:

Good idea, except for possible heat problems. I just slip a garbage bag over the TV when it's not in use,which is probably 99.99% of the time. With no antenna, it's useful for tapes and that's all.
Just replaced the old stereo with a new CD player/radio. It will last 4-5 years, by which time the price will have dropped from the $28.72 I paid down to $18.72.
Charlie Self "It is when power is wedded to chronic fear that it becomes formidable." Eric Hoffer
Mon, Dec 20, 2004, 10:12pm snipped-for-privacy@thistime.net (TaskMule) "Kyle Boatright" says: Either a complete dust managment system, or put the electronic components in a cabinet. The DVD will eventually suffer regardless.
That's option one. Option two is, don't put them in the shop in the first place.
I'd go with option two. My shop is for relaxing. I've got a cheap radio in there, and it plays (on low) constantly.
Sit, sniff sawdust, and listen to some decent music, that beats the Hell out of a TV in the shop, any time.
JOAT Sanity is vastly over-rated.
J T wrote:

SIT? You have room to SIT in your shop? I'm jealous! If I put something to sit on out there, I'd have to get rid of a machine or two.
Tue, Dec 21, 2004, 10:00pm snipped-for-privacy@users.sourceforge.net (Silvan) exclaims in awe and wonder: SIT? You have room to SIT in your shop? I'm jealous! If I put something to sit on out there, I'd have to get rid of a machine or two.
Folding chair.
JOAT Sanity is vastly over-rated.
On Wed, 22 Dec 2004 02:23:49 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (J T) wrote:

we have 2 folding stools and 2 cheap stools... the stools were $15 each at an auto supply and make excellent places to lay boards, when they aren't full on neighbor's butts.. *g*
Please remove splinters before emailing
Silvan remarks:

How about two folding chairs (outdoor type), one straightback, and, best of all, an old easy chair from our previous set of furniture. I'm currently looking for a super cheap office chair that will hold my bulk so I can slip it under the table I usually work my laptop on when shooting photos.
Charlie Self "Political language... is designed to make lies sound truthful and murder respectable, and to give an appearance of solidity to pure wind." George Orwell
Charlie Self wrote:

You suck!
Silvan expounds:

Yeah, well, usually all of the chairs are full of bits and pieces of wood or small tools. Just another form of flat surface, a little too low to use as a workbench.
Charlie Self "Political language... is designed to make lies sound truthful and murder respectable, and to give an appearance of solidity to pure wind." George Orwell
On 22 Dec 2004 17:53:40 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.comnotforme (Charlie Self) wrote:

bar stools make great lathe chisel rests.. *g*
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing

you mean I'm not the only one that does that?
-Dan V.
I thought is was only my shop that had problems with "stuff" landing on most horizontal surfaces. I did mount a TV on the wall, there are plenty of times I am not running machines where I like to have on a show. I don't think many people are injured because they have a TV on while sanding, picking up the shop, or just thinking (I don't get accused of doing that very much).

Thee is a new product put out by a company called TV Stop. The way it works, the TV is wired to the blade of your table saw. As soon as wood contacts the blade, the TV is tossed to the floor so as not to distract you. They have been trying to license the product to all table saw makers, but so far with little luck. The government is going to mandate that all power tools be equipped with TV Stop in 2006.
Coming soon, Beer Stop.

Fantastic! Where can I buy one?

Shouldn't it, you know, work first?

Not a bad idea, that one.
"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message

Damned expensive this cutting wood is going to be. I am sure the owner is altruistic in that he only wants to protect you from exposure to ED, Vioxx and other dangerous drugs, right?
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 11/06/04
On Thu, 23 Dec 2004 00:51:52 -0500, Dan Valleskey <valleskey at comcast dot net> wrote:

They also work all right for bench grinders, and they're easy to clean!

Aut inveniam viam aut faciam

SIT??? Hell, this time of year I get to stretch right out and recline in my shop. I just stretch out on the snowmobile with my head up on the padded handlebar stretcher and all is good.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@sprintmail.com