Kawasaki Tools?

Page 1 of 2

    We had a work party last night. One of the traditions for this party is a give-away of various items, people get 5 tickets and can toss them into a basket for the items that interest them. Each year there are usually a few tools from some Big Box BORG, most of them things like B&D laser levels, they had a no-name Dremel clone this year, and a few other similar items.
    One of the things they had this year was a 19.4 V Kawasaki drill. Prior to last night, I'd never seen any mention of Kawasaki as a tool vendor, somewhat surprising given the broadly dispersed audience that constitutes rec.ww and also given the number of woodworking magazine to which I subscribe. I'll admit to not looking at every ad in all the magazines (I don't even get to read all of every magazine anymore). Has anyone here had, tried, viewed, or otherwise fondled a Kawasaki drill, or other tool for that matter? Is my assessment that it was probably a cheap tool correct, or did I miss an opportunity to own a quality tool? [Actually, I did win a remote-controlled flying disk (kind of a gyro-copter thing --- that will be a great Christmas gift for my son)]

Kawasaki makes some pretty decent stuff. They have come a long way since their 'Flex-Frame' motorcycles of yesteryear. Panasonic used to be equated with junk... pretty nice drill though. So if a Kawasaki drill presented itself in my walk of life, I'd be all over it. Laying down the cash for it would take a bit more. Sometimes I take chances... like that band saw I bought yesterday.
On 10/12/2005 11:31 PM, Robatoy wrote:

Mebbe it was 'flex-frame', but for sheer testicle-shrinking all-out crazy staight-line blue-smokin' (oil, not tire) acceleration, nothing beat my '71 H1 500cc 2stroke in its day.

That bike would give a lot of today's bikes a rough time. Damn! those were quick.

Got to borrow on of those in Pasadena back around '72, neat little triple, at a time when I was a lightweight (well, maybe 180 pounds). Sumbitch flew in a straight line, lit up that rear tire like nothing I've seen off a drag strip. Supposed to have clocked 4.5 seconds to 60, with a cold rear tire.
It was a terror at stopping time, though, and didn't corner at all like a buddy's 500CC Norton Manx single (which couldn't carry the Kaw's clutch cable for sheer gut twisting acceleration in a straight line--at this late date, I'm not sure, but I think both topped out around 105MPH, which was about 10MPH more than I ever tacked on the one I borrowed).
On 11/12/2005 10:58 AM, Charles Self wrote:

Mine was clocked at 121 mph. Unfortunately for me the clocker was a local gendarme. He was unamused.
On 12/11/2005 8:28 AM Doug Payne mumbled something about the following:

Here's a pic of a very interesting Kawasaki http://www.sloanclan.org/gallery/MoreToys/HPIM0344
1979 KZ1300 6 cyl mated to a VW Type 1 front end.

Nothing except the 750cc H2, perhaps. :-)
Apropos of their tools, bear in mind that Kawasaki's main business is building very large machines (e.g. 300,000 ton oil tankers) and they've been doing it for a long time. I'd expect their tools to be serious industrial grade stuff.
John
On 12/13/2005 5:44 PM John McCoy mumbled something about the following:

Or maybe the Z900A, but that was a couple years later. I know my 80 KZ1300 was the fastest touring bike I ever want to get on (yes, I had the full vetter fairing, bags, and trunk).
--
Odinn
RCOS #7 SENS BS ???
On 13/12/2005 5:44 PM, John McCoy wrote:

Yep, but that wasn't "in it's day". When I bought my H1, the H2 didn't yet exist. I kicked myself for not waiting a couple more months.

I have a Kawasaki generator. Haven't used it much, but it "looks" nice. Supposedly it is made on the same assembly line as Hondas.

I have a good old John Deere, patriotic USA type lawn mower. It has a Kawasaki engine that still starts on the first pull after five years.
I'd take a shot at the drill based on my limited Kawasaki experience.
wrote in message

I have a Honda lawn mower that just completed its 19 th season. It has a Honda engine and still starts on the first pull. ;~) It may very well out live me and I was 32 when I bought it.

That's another take on the story. Who really KNOWS anything about the product you're buying? Here's one I hadn't noticed before: ASSEMBLED IN USA. What does that mean? Attaching the cord? Putting on the label that says ASSEMBLED IN USA? All US/Canada made with overseas parts?
On Sun, 11 Dec 2005 01:20:11 -0500, Robatoy wrote:

It has to do with the way the US charges custom duties. A completed item is charged a higher duty than a incomplete item. Hence things are shipped minus a installed part making it a incomplete item. This could be the power cord or the entire product could be assemblied in the US. Toyota used to ship it's trucks to the US with the bumpers in the back of the truck. The dealer would then install the bumpers. Thus a lower customs duty was paid.
Don't forget about hyundai tools as well- least there was a cordless drill at Pep Boys that had that name. The batteries were only 1300mah though, pretty wimpy. I'm wondering if the name is being used and the drill is the same basic chiwanese drill with a label stuck on. Pat
Well I survived the off sale. Man it wore me out and got me so behind. I need a vacation bad but now no time or money (G) got a cold out of this too. Well time for my monthly sales. I have some cocobolo planes left and I have enough cocobolo for a coffin or two and enough ebony for a pocket plane or two if you're interested. Give me a email directly if you want a plane take care and merry Christmas. Knight-Toolworks http://www.knight-toolworks.com affordable handmade wooden planes
Steve knight wrote in

Hey Rick,     Did you ever build a plane out of that Mesquite I sent you?
--
Michael Burton
Thunderbird Hardwoods
Robatoy wrote:

There is an island in the western Pacific whose name I cannot recall, (Samoa, Saipan?) that while Asian for all intents and purposes - wages, quality, work ethic - is a US territory or protectorate or some such and therefor qualifies the product as "Made in USA". Discovered this in the early 90's when I called Delta to inquire as to why my new "American" jointer was using metric bolts.
Local Sunday paper has a sales circular in it from Pep Boys advertising the Kawasaki 19.2v cordless drill & flashlight kit for $39.98. Also advertised is the Kawasaki 4 piece 19.2v kit including the drill, flashlight, circular saw, and jigsaw for $99.98. I think I will wait for Honda to come out with a cordless drill. LOL.
Andy